•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small ED Scope Options For My 294

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

hey guys...currently running an avx and c6(reduced) 294 setup mostly for EAA.  been in and out of the hobby for years and now im back in i want to add a small refractor into my mix as i used to have an Orion IONED80 and found it most useful.  i want to use the scope and the 294 for eaa but also dabble into some imaging processes.  im looking at various combinations and costs seem to be about 600-1000..thats about my range for this..cheaper is always better i suppose but dont want to skimp out.  i would like some recommendations on those who own and use something like this with the 294 so there is no guessing on what flatner reducer needs to be added or the like.  i would like to have just a nice easy setup that takes advantage of the entire sensor size.  thanks

#2 mic1970

mic1970

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

https://www.astronom...fpl-53-f-6.html

I love, love my Astro-Tech AT72 for both photography and visual.  However, a couple of minor tweaks that don't bother me, but might bother some.  One, get a full length multi-use dove tail.  You can put the scope on one end and it will solve balance issues.  The focuser is robust and balance is off for this short refactor.  The second is the focus knobs can get in the way.  I would assume most people elevate it off the dovetail, but I'm cheap and easy so I just flip the refractor up side down inside the rings.  Works like a champ.  

Edited by mic1970, 19 September 2019 - 08:08 AM.

• johrich likes this

#3 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

Does the 72 usually require a reducer/flattener or is it all good out of the box.

#4 mic1970

mic1970

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

It helps, but I went a couple of months without one and it was fine.  Note... the company recommended the field flattener, but not a reducer.  I took the advice and saved some money.  

#5 mic1970

mic1970

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:15 AM

https://www.cloudyni...d-brain-nebula/.  This is pic with it.  Newer so it was the flatterer.

https://www.cloudyni...-enough-enough/.  This was one before I got it.  Note, I'm green now, but very green then.  

Edited by mic1970, 19 September 2019 - 10:08 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics