•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Different scopes just like different ep's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

In my years as an amateur astronomer I have had many different scopes. From an 8" Orion dob (my first), SC's, APO's and a 15" Obsession (just sold-hated to let it go). So most of us over the years accumulate many different ep's (mfg/sizes). This is just the nature of the beast. I have been blessed with being able to acquire mostly TV ep's and still believe these are the standard by which all others are compared against. I have tried less expensive ep's, but they tend to be very hit or miss. Although today they are much better than even just 10 years ago (better mfg standards?). 

My current stable of scope/ep likes are

Soon to be sitting side by side on my Ioptron AZM Pro: Esprit 80 (F5/400mm) loves the 8 Ethos and the 4.5 Delos (would like to try the 3.5 Delos) and the C -8/Edge (F10/2000) which loves the 22 Nagler, and 13/17 Ethos

My G&G on an ES TWL 1 mount: C-6xlt (F10/1500mm) loves the 13 Ethos (I need to upgrade the cheap stock visual back to a Baader T-2 prism diagonal/adaptor and Starlight micro focuser). I would like to try a 10 Delos after upgrades on this one.

My MOD 3 night vision monocular only works with my SC's, but ohhhh how I love it. Will be trying it with my 12 and 6 nm Ha filters in Oct while in AZ.

I have been thinking of adding a SW Esprit 120 (F7/840) on an Ioptron CEM40 in the future and do AP again (I'm thinking the 17/8 Ethos and 4.5 Delos would be great visually on this one).

Anyway, just my mental wonderings (for sure I'm mental lol.gif )

• rkelley8493 likes this

#2 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:02 PM

My first was the ETX125. The first time I saw Jupiter's cloud bands, I was hooked. But after seeing the planets, moon, and bright DSO's, I moved on down the Messier list and found that a larger aperture & wider field were needed. I then added a 10" Dob and got pretty good at star hopping. Also started down that trek of finding out what works best for me, mostly through trial & error. I am also blessed to be able to have that opportunity.

Here's what my stable of scope/eyepiece likes are:

ETX125 [I just sold this scope to a fellow member, glad it's finding a good home]:  The Explore Sci 24/68° worked to its potential with this scope. Very good relatively wide field views of the moon, planets, and Orion Nebula. The best views of Jupiter were with a 15mm Super View plössl and 14mm ES 82°. Saturn looked the best with the ES 8.8/82°.

LightBridge 10 [also sold this scope to a fellow member]:  The Explore Sci 30/82° was my most used eyepiece with this scope. Excellent views of Andromeda, the Double Cluster, and Virgo Cluster. Next in line were the ES 14/100 & 9/100, and then the 5 & 7 XW's for planetary.

LX90-10:  31T5 Nagler, 22T4 Nagler, Explore Sci 12/92°, Pentax XW 10

SVA130T:  22T4, ES 17/92°, Pentax XW 7, and Delos 4.5. I've had the best, clearest, sharpest views of Jupiter with the 4.5 Delos, and the 7 XW works excellent with this f/7 scope!

#3 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

Different scopes, different eyepieces, different targets, different experiences. Variety is the spice of life as "they" say. waytogo.gif

Edited by desertlens, 19 September 2019 - 04:11 PM.

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:36 PM

I've owned 31 scopes since 1963, but never more than 3 at a time, and, since the last century, never more than 2 at a time.

Why 2?

Different tools for different jobs.

A larger (12.5") dob for the deep sky with narrower true fields and higher magnifications.

A smaller (4") refractor for wide field viewing at, primarily, lower powers.

Not surprisingly, I use 100-110° eyepieces in the longer focal length dob, and 62-82° eyepieces in the shorter focal length refractor.

I can see always having at least 2 scopes.  No one scope seems to just "do it all".

I am glad I got to use so many scopes.  Add the views through other scopes at star parties, and they number in the hundreds.

#5 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

I have:

• two F5 80 mm refractors,
  • F4 100 mm Newtonian
  • 127 mm F15 Mak
  • 12" F5 Dob. 

And I operate a 14" F10 Meade LX 200 at the Custer Observatory on Long Island using my eyepieces, mostly for outreach. 

I have two 2" for the Dob and the LX 200.   

All the rest 1.25" and and for these I use ES and Meade 82s and I use them in all of my scopes.  Naturally which FL range I use does vary by scope.

I have a Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom which gets more eyepiece time than all the other 1.25" eyepieces. This is for the 12" Dob and the LX200.

I have a Celestron zoom that gets used in the 80, 100 and 127 mm scopes because it is smaller and lighter and seems to work better for them for that reason.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics