•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with Stellarium Telescope Control

Celestron planetarium software mount
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metz, Lorraine (France)

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

Hello,

I am new here, and i just made my account, i am a beginner and i want to Control my Telescope using my computer, so i downloaded Stellarium ( 0.19.1 ).

I purchased a (this https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B077G37VL1/) Cable to plug my telescope and my PC together, i just received it today.

So i made the Alignment of my telescope as it says to do before pluging the cable, then i plugged the cable to my telescope (Bottom of Hand Controller) and PC, and i installed the Stellarium Telescope Control plug-in, i installed my telescope and everything (with "COM8" Serial Port), on Stellarium it says "Connected" but it doesn't show where the telescope is looking at and also when i try to move my telescope with it it doesn't work...

I would like to get some help i don't know how i can fix that and get my Telescope Control working!

My Telescope: NexStar 127SLT

PC SPECS:

GTX 970

8GB RAM DDR4

I7 6700 3.4Ghz

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

Are you running the ASCOM platform? If not you need to download it and look through the ASCOM drivers on their site to see if there is an updated one for your mount.

#3 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

I downloaded Ascom and StellariumScope programs, but i don't know how to use them.

Thanks for your reply.

#4 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

Go into your Ascom folder, open Platform6, then open Tools. Depending on weather you are running 32bit or 64bit operating system open the Driverconnect 32 or 64. You will get a box with a drop down to select you equipment. Select Telescope, then click choose and you will see another box. Click the drop down and select your driver and click OK.

Below the box where you select the Equipment you will see a box that says Ascom simulator telescope and a connect button next to it - click connect and it will connect to your mount. Do this first before you open Stellarium

#5 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

Hello, i clicked connect button and this is the result:

Create              Creating device
Connected           Connecting to device
Error               System.UnauthorizedAccessException: access to port 'COM8' denied.
   to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
   to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
   to System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute2[T0,T1,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1)
   to System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute2[T0,T1,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1)
   to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268
Dispose             Disposing of device
ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
GC Collect          Completed garbage collection

-

Clicked it again and results:

-

Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM8 failed, no Celestron scope detected
   to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
   to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268

( Restarted stellarium and it seems to be not working still )

Edited by dragorom7, 19 September 2019 - 11:08 AM.

#6 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

Hello,

I downloaded Ascom and StellariumScope programs, but i don't know how to use them.

Thanks for your reply.

StellariumScope is obsolete. The functionality is now built into Stellarium. You will still need ASCOM. You also need the ASCOM driver for your mount. Install both, Stellarium will connect and launch them when needed.

You also need to do an alignment with the hand controller first. Stellarium won't know where you are pointing unless you do that.

• t_image likes this

#7 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:05 AM

StellariumScope is obsolete. The functionality is now built into Stellarium. You will still need ASCOM. You also need the ASCOM driver for your mount. Install both, Stellarium will connect and launch them when needed.

You also need to do an alignment with the hand controller first. Stellarium won't know where you are pointing unless you do that.

Thanks! I'm having issues with ASCOM thing now.

#8 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

If you want to control your mount remotely, have you tried Celestron's CPWI telescope control software?  It is also free and supports the Nexstar SLT.

https://www.celestro...ontrol-software

If you really want to use Stellarium, you might want to check to make sure StellariumScope (SS) is connected correctly.  I don't think the Telescope Control plugin is actually required with SS.  Check the following:

1. Ensure your correct mount ASCOM driver is selected in SS.  Aside from the ASCOM platform, you will also need the Celestron Unified ASCOM driver (https://ascom-standa...copeDrivers.htm)
  2. You can try testing it out with the Simulator to isolate the issue.
  3. Make sure you update the Stellarium config by clicking on the Update button
  4. Make sure your SS successfully connects to the mount.

Lastly, look at the bottom of the SS panel, and ensure it says "connected to..." once you run Stellarium.

stellariumscope.png

• dragorom7 likes this

#9 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:12 AM

I think you said you do this but just in case - turn on the mount without the serial cable plugged into your hand control. Do your set up with the hand controller. When it says ready plug in the cable and try to connect the ascom driver again.

#10 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

I think you said you do this but just in case - turn on the mount without the serial cable plugged into your hand control. Do your set up with the hand controller. When it says ready plug in the cable and try to connect the ascom driver again.

Should i press "Enter" when it says it's ready or leave it like that?

#11 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

If you want to control your mount remotely, have you tried Celestron's CPWI telescope control software?  It is also free and supports the Nexstar SLT.

If you really want to use Stellarium, you might want to check to make sure StellariumScope (SS) is connected correctly.  I don't think the Telescope Control plugin is actually required with SS.  Check the following:

1. Ensure your correct mount ASCOM driver is selected in SS.  Aside from the ASCOM platform, you will also need the Celestron Unified ASCOM driver (https://ascom-standa...copeDrivers.htm)

Lastly, look at the bottom of the SS panel, and ensure it says "connected to..." once you run Stellarium.

stellariumscope.png

Thank you will try it.

Edited by dragorom7, 19 September 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#12 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

Leave it

#13 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

stellariumscope.png

So, i tried CPWI Software as you mentioned, i downloaded it and started it, then i pressed "Connect" ( via Hand Control ), and it says that:

2019-09-19 19:11:45.046: ERROR
Unable to communicate with mount
Please verify that the USB cable or USB-to-serial cable is connected to the bottom of the hand-controller and the hand-controller is connected to the mount. Please note: Only the NexStar+ and StarSense hand-controllers are supported.

I used StellariumScope thing and it worked with "Simulation" and with my Telescope driver it opened a message box when i tried to tick "connect" saying:

StellariumScope

Connect to COM8 failed, no Celestron scope detected

in "Driverconnect" as "DSOs4Me" user it said:

Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM8 failed, no Celestron scope detected

as you can see in third line it says the same message as when i try to tick "connect" in StellariumScope...

Do you think i must install some cable driver?
or did i pick the wrong cable? It fits in my hand controller and my pc. ( https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B077G37VL1/ )

or is my Hand Controler thing broken or something? My telescope and Hand Controler is working great, i can align and everything perfectly.

#14 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

Your having a Com port issue- I did too and I am racking my brain as to how I fixed it - Can someone jump in here on the Com port

• dragorom7 likes this

#15 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

Your having a Com port issue- I did too and I am racking my brain as to how I fixed it - Can someone jump in here on the Com port

That'd be really helpful if you can find how to fix it, and thanks for all the help you've given to me so far, really appreciate!

Could someone help me with the com port issue?

#16 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:38 PM

When you click on the ascom and select telescope, select choose and in the other box select your driver. Before clicking OK click the Properties box and see what it say in com port on the top

#17 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

Just attached a screenshot if it can help you to find the issue

Attached Thumbnails

• canhelp.PNG

#18 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:15 PM

When you click on the ascom and select telescope, select choose and in the other box select your driver. Before clicking OK click the Properties box and see what it say in com port on the top

#19 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:18 PM

Take a look at the drop down and see if it shows any other com ports on the list

#20 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

nah, there's just COM8

#21 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

at first it wasnt there i had to tick "Show all COM Ports" and it's indeed my cable because i unplugged it and it's not in the list anymore then re-plugged it and it's COM8

#22 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

What operating system is your computer running

#23 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

Windows 10 Pro

#24 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

Do you have any other Serial to usb devices attached?

#25 dragorom7

dragorom7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

No, only this cable i ordered from Amazon that arrived today.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, planetarium software, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics