•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2Barrel

2Barrel

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Haddon Twp. New Jersey

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:44 PM

Hello folks.
Dont know what do do here so I'm asking for help.
I just purchased a Celestron electronic focuser and I already have a reducer for my 8 inch edgehd.
I also have a cannon T3i along with the OTOAG. I'm at the proper spacing of 105mm.
My question is about collimation.
Should I collimate the scope using a high powered eyepiece or should I collimate using the intended imaging train including reducer?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike K.

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

I never collimate an SCT with extra optical parts in the train. Because if you do you will not know if everything is OK or if things are out and you just over-corrected to bring it closer to correct. You want to start with everything in the optical train at zero so in case you add a part that is out you will know its the culprit.

• pgs/sdg and 2Barrel like this

#3 2Barrel

2Barrel

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Haddon Twp. New Jersey

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

I never collimate an SCT with extra optical parts in the train. Because if you do you will not know if everything is OK or if things are out and you just over-corrected to bring it closer to correct. You want to start with everything in the optical train at zero so in case you add a part that is out you will know its the culprit.

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics