•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skyportal and wifi module align problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

Has anyone had this problem. 

I have a nexstar 6se with a wifi module and the latest skyportal installed on my samsung s6,the problem is when I connect and align,the icon target for the scope on the skyportal app is no where near the place the scope is facing,even having successfully aligned the 3 star align it doesn't  goto the star I select. I've inputed the correct location time date is correct.sometimes the scope just goes mad and won't stop moving and the skyportal app just freezes.

I've reinstalled skyportal to no avail,I've also tried to install and connect my samsung tab 10.1 to the scope but it just fails the 3 star align after the 3rd star everytime.any suggestions anyone?

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Use the "Lock" and "Unlock" button.

#3 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

Ok I'll give that shot

#4 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Sorry but unlocking and locking has no effect

#5 Freighter109

Freighter109

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central OK

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

If you're using a smart phone/tablet, you don't need to input the date/time/gps etc. It gets all of that information from the phone. You can't use both the app and hand control to do things. If using the phone, the only buttons on the hand control you can use are the 4 direction buttons to slew. Otherwise, it'll mess the alignment up as its stored on the phone. Also, in the app settings, make sure tilt device to slew isn't checked. If it is, tilting your phone makes the scope slew in that direction. 

• Stefan042 likes this

#6 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

Ok I'll check the setting on that.

#7 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:34 PM

Still no difference.checking the app reviews a lot of people having the same issues.is there any other app out there that is more reliable.

#8 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

SkySafari.

I strongly recommend SkySafari 6 Pro, for its general usefulness even beyond telescope control. Telescope control is the icing on the cake.

SkySafari 6 Plus will also be good for scope control, if you can't bring yourself to buy the Pro version.

• Stefan042 likes this

#9 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

I did see that one.i think I'll give it a try and see if it sorts the alignment issue out. Thanks for that.

#10 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:34 AM

Sounds like maybe you're starting the new alignment with 'Connect', instead of 'Connect and Align'?  'Connect' assumes that you're already aligned and just momentarily lost connection, so SP/SS resumes the previous alignment.  'Connect and Align' clears the data from the previous alignment, and starts fresh, and is the correct place to start any new alignment.

Jim H.

#11 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:32 AM

I have been having weird issues with Skyportal and wifi module not working, I had it setup and working with my NexStar 90 SLT and SkySafari 6 Plus.

I have now brought a NexStar 8se, and could not get Skyportal  and SkySafari 6 Plus working together.

Last night I thought I would reboot my iPad, and Bingo it's working.

Might help.

Edited by MickTaurus, 29 September 2019 - 04:33 AM.

#12 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

Just installed sky safari 6 plus,set up for celestron wifi in settings as this is the only way I could get app to connect to the scope.i can sucessfully do the 3 star alignment no problem but the scope is not aligned right.

I,m doing the connect and align on both sky portal and sky safari.the location and date/time I've even installed sky portal on a different smart phone with no difference.its very frustrating !!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics