•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skyportal and wifi module align problems

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

Has anyone had this problem. 

I have a nexstar 6se with a wifi module and the latest skyportal installed on my samsung s6,the problem is when I connect and align,the icon target for the scope on the skyportal app is no where near the place the scope is facing,even having successfully aligned the 3 star align it doesn't  goto the star I select. I've inputed the correct location time date is correct.sometimes the scope just goes mad and won't stop moving and the skyportal app just freezes.

I've reinstalled skyportal to no avail,I've also tried to install and connect my samsung tab 10.1 to the scope but it just fails the 3 star align after the 3rd star everytime.any suggestions anyone?

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Use the "Lock" and "Unlock" button.

#3 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

Ok I'll give that shot

#4 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Sorry but unlocking and locking has no effect

#5 Freighter109

Freighter109

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central OK

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

If you're using a smart phone/tablet, you don't need to input the date/time/gps etc. It gets all of that information from the phone. You can't use both the app and hand control to do things. If using the phone, the only buttons on the hand control you can use are the 4 direction buttons to slew. Otherwise, it'll mess the alignment up as its stored on the phone. Also, in the app settings, make sure tilt device to slew isn't checked. If it is, tilting your phone makes the scope slew in that direction. 

• Stefan042 likes this

#6 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

Ok I'll check the setting on that.

#7 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:34 PM

Still no difference.checking the app reviews a lot of people having the same issues.is there any other app out there that is more reliable.

#8 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

SkySafari.

I strongly recommend SkySafari 6 Pro, for its general usefulness even beyond telescope control. Telescope control is the icing on the cake.

SkySafari 6 Plus will also be good for scope control, if you can't bring yourself to buy the Pro version.

• Stefan042 likes this

#9 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

I did see that one.i think I'll give it a try and see if it sorts the alignment issue out. Thanks for that.

#10 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:34 AM

Sounds like maybe you're starting the new alignment with 'Connect', instead of 'Connect and Align'?  'Connect' assumes that you're already aligned and just momentarily lost connection, so SP/SS resumes the previous alignment.  'Connect and Align' clears the data from the previous alignment, and starts fresh, and is the correct place to start any new alignment.

Jim H.

#11 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:32 AM

I have been having weird issues with Skyportal and wifi module not working, I had it setup and working with my NexStar 90 SLT and SkySafari 6 Plus.

I have now brought a NexStar 8se, and could not get Skyportal  and SkySafari 6 Plus working together.

Last night I thought I would reboot my iPad, and Bingo it's working.

Might help.

Edited by MickTaurus, 29 September 2019 - 04:33 AM.

#12 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

Just installed sky safari 6 plus,set up for celestron wifi in settings as this is the only way I could get app to connect to the scope.i can sucessfully do the 3 star alignment no problem but the scope is not aligned right.

I,m doing the connect and align on both sky portal and sky safari.the location and date/time I've even installed sky portal on a different smart phone with no difference.its very frustrating !!

#13 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

Having countless attempts over the last few weeks in lock down ,I,m still no wiser to still having the alignment problem solved with this scope.i did a firmware update on my hc lastnight with no avail,I've installed sky portal and sky safari 6 plus on 2x different devices no joy(uninstall/installed)ive gone back to basics to see if I've done something wrong or different.This is now driving me nuts,

I'm connecting to the wifi module no problem done a connect and align, got my scope mounted on level ground(done by a spirit level), checked time and location all correct,checked scope in settings ,sidereal/align using sky align.communication direct connect,got my scope facing north horizon level,scope(according to sky portal ne/45°).disconnect./reconnect now showing still stating the same.

Sometimes this can be random like a mind of it's own,try the 3 star align and it fails.

It may be something pretty obvious I'm doing wrong here,can someone please shed some light on this,or the other option is give the star sense auto align a shot.

#14 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:29 AM

Are you a member of a local astronomy group? You have suffered long enough and it sounds to me as if this needs an experienced owner to locally assist you 'hands on'. I was driven nuts for some weeks. It is a steep learning curve and Celestron instruction manuals are awful. But most problems are entirely due to use data input error. 

It would help if you listed your equipment in your Cloudy Nights signature as I have had to read the entire thread to fathom that out. Even so, I am confused as you now mention trying Starsense. Do you own Starsense or are you simply set up with Nexstar HC + alongside SkyPortal external WiFi accessory and tablet? For that,  I assume you are using Android (Samsung) tablet?

It is probably time for back to basics to discover by a process of elimination where the nuisance lies.

The 6SE can be controlled by various different devices (there are others)...

1. Nexstar + HC or Starsense HC (with Starsense camera)

2. SkyPortal external WiFi accessory and APP (SkyPortal or SkySafari) for  IPad or Android.

3. Celestron CPWI for Windows 10 laptop.

Each of 2 or 3 simply replace (1). Using various combinations we can work out where any glitch might lie.

Suggest you remove SkyPortal dongle and attempt a Nexstar + Hand Controller  alignment to eliminate the mount as a possible cause. Have you tried doing a factory reset on your 6SE? 

Have you referred to Mike Swanson's Nexstar Resource website? Read the page on "Possible fixes for Hand Control misbehaviour. That would evaluate problems with your hand controller (and some mount settings). 

Have you tried connecting your SkyPortal external WiFi accessory with a Windows 10 laptop running CPWI?  If that works, that might suggest a problem with APP/tablet.

I believe (but may be wrong) that I read somewhere that there was a problem with one of the SkySafari versions. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling only Celestron's SkyPortal APP (which I found more reliable).

Have you possibly got something wrongly set (example wedge = yes)? Without looking at a screen shot of your APP settings page it is hard to guide you. That's why I think you would benefit from hands on assistance.

In the APP, ensure that <time> is set to NOW and in settings, Time and Location are both = current.

Are you sure that Location Services switched on in your tablet? I had to reset a host of stuff in my Android, including removing battery savers and like nuisances that kept interrupting the APPs. To be frank, I gave up with Android and now use SkyPortal external WiFi accessory in Access Point Mode connected via my network to a Windows 10 laptop running CPWI. Whilst I got SkySafari working, I found it nowhere near as dependable compared to CPWI.

#15 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the support, ive not joined a local astronomy group yet,and with what's going on with the situation at the moment I don't think it's going so happen soon unfortunately.

As with starsense I was thinking of buying one if that would be easier.im using a samsung a70 now but have tried this with my old s6 and samsung galaxy tab a 10.1,.

That's a good suggestion doing a hc align without wifi module and sky portal (hopefully getting some clear nights in next few days).will checkout Mike Swanson's site for info.

I haven't done the Sky portal external wifi accessory,I've got an old windows 7 laptop(slow as hell)and a tower running windows 10 so that's another option (my need some setup assistant with that).

I'll have a look at the at the app settings page and try and upload a screen shot of that.and wedge is not selected only align using sky align,if that's what you mean.

Location services switched on,there don't seem to be any interference on the devices as far as I can tell.

I will first try the hc align(eliminate that first),thanks for the help I will be back to share my findings.

#16 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:24 PM

Starsense will only be easier if you find the glitch. It does replace and speed up the process, and I love it, but it would only help you if there was a problem with your Nexstar + HC.

You first need to eliminate that by trying the options I have suggested. If the Nexstar + works, then you know the problem is in the APP.  You can test that by trying CPWI.

It's 99% likely that your issue is a user setting. By doing a factory reset, at least you can retrace your initial steps from a clean start and properly referring to the instruction manual. Most of us are not sufficiently disciplined with new kit and often miss a vital step.

Having a Windows 7 laptop can be an advantage. It would not surprise me if it was faster than Windows 10. Windows 10 'steals' user resources and needs a disproportionately higher specification computer. 

#17 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:58 AM

waytogo.gif

By doing a factory reset, at least you can retrace your initial steps from a clean start and properly referring to the instruction manual. 

This is what I did when first had problems with alignment using SkyPortal wifi, and it fixed it.

Also reboot devices.

#18 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

How are you powering your SE?

The mounts are extremely voltage sensitive.  My behaves badly with fresh AA batteries.  I now use a 6aH TalentCell.

#19 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:02 AM

I've got the recommend power supply at the moment,running an extension out on to my back lawn,going to do a standard 3 star hc alignment tonight hopefully get a clear night to see if it's the scope or the app,will also do a factory reset again,fingers crossed.

#20 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:39 AM

Ok having done a factory reset,nice clear night scope on level ground,input time ,date, location, 3 star align first was moon,second was venus,third was Sirius.alignment complete,list of of the 3x stars was first castor second was eltanin,third navi ????.tried a second time same order successfully aligned tried a goto to the moon,the scope just went around and around till I had to turn it off,tried a third time goto the moon,45°out,the scope is possessed!!!!!

I.did notice that when I go to centre the star in the scope lense the motor seems to be working for a couple of seconds on slow move before it moves,like delay in movement?,which is a bit concerning.

#21 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:00 AM

Your equipment signature says you have WiFi module and Nexstar + HC. Earlier comments suggest you have a number of device options. So which control device were you using? 

Are you using WiFi/Tablet? Or HC? What you describe as the scope "going round as if possessed" is a classic symptom of WiFi failure. As I suggested before, you are best to start with HC until you have mastered the basics.

The Moon and Venus are not stars. You must use Stars. 

I don't understand when you mention Castor, Eltanin and Navi. Were these stars chosen for a second attempt? Were they those suggested by APP or HC? Did you use them?  Where are you located, so we can identify other suitable stars that are perhaps easier to identify?

You say "input date, time and location", but did you correct 'zone' and 'daylight saving time'?  If using a tablet, are Location Services enabled?  

#22 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:10 AM

Like you suggested I removed the wifi module and did a hc alignment(no wifi) for trial and error.i,m hearing a conflict of opinions,some people are stating that you can use planets and the moon,but ok I,all try just stars.Castor, Eltanin and Navi. Were hc stating that I used as a 3 star,i,m located near Peterborough, sorry for hassle.

#23 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:41 PM

There is a Solar System Align, but it’s not designed for what you are trying to do. You are best served by using only stars and trying either a ‘SkyAlign’ or ‘Auto-Two Star Align’.

Both of these methods are comprehensively described in the Nexstar 6SE instruction manual on pages 12 and 13. If you don’t have a manual, it can be downloaded from the Celestron website.

See https://www.celestro...m/pages/manuals.

It seems fairly clear that you are not following these clear written instructions and they must be your first base. This is a complex challenge, and you won’t get far without carefully reading the manual. Frankly, I would first try SkyAlign as you don’t have to identify any of the three bright stars that you select. You can use Moon or a Planet, but you are best adopting bright stars as solar sysem objects can be problematic..

It is vital that you correctly set Time, Date, Location, Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time = yes.

It is also vital that you have assembled your telescope correctly. I wonder, have you perhaps got the mount arm on the wrong side, hence your OTA is pointing in the wrong direction? Again, the manual will guide you.

if you want to try again with WiFi/Tablet, the best WiFi instructions are probably found in the Evolution telescope manual, except that you will be using an external dongle rather than internal WiFi. Again, this can be downloaded from the Celestron site.

Your other best source of reference is Mike Swanson’s Nexstar Resource website. See https://www.nexstars...lignmentFAQ.htm

Edited by Noah4x4, 06 April 2020 - 12:56 PM.

#24 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centreville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:50 PM

Peterborough

hello from north of Napanee. I always used the auto 2 star aligment never had much luck with Sky align. Start with Polaris as the first star. 

#25 Nexus4

Nexus4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:55 AM

Ok so did a hc 3 star alignment by the book and succeeded no problem, so going back and try a align with wifi module and skyportal again!!,to see if it's the app or a communication problem etc.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics