•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ideas for mounting iEQ45 on Losmandy LW Tripod?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 js76

js76

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

I have a Losmandy GM8 and LW tripod, and recently acquired an iOptron iEQ45. I'm very happy with the iEQ45, but less so with its accompanying Tri-Pier. There's nothing actually wrong with it -- I'd just rather use the LW Tripod, if possible.

It seems that what I need is something that can secure to the LW tripod, with this iOptron plate attached to the top of it. I imagine this "something" would be a disk of aluminum (?) with threaded shafts for the Losmandy TKS knobs, and the means to attach the iOptron top plate.

I'd love to hear any ideas the hive mind might have. Note that I have zero machining experience and no access to a shop where I could learn the hard way and make something myself. I wish I could. (And I'm really hoping I haven't missed an obvious solution that already exists. I've done some searching and called Losmandy, with no luck. I'm also waiting to hear back from Dan of Dan's Pier Top Plates about this.)

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

If the only kind of machining you can do is drilling and tapping then buy an Astro-Physics LT2APM adapter. What this does is bolt to the top of a Losmandy tripod or MA adapter and has a flat plate on top drilled with holes for the ADATRI adapter so you can mount an AP Mount (400, 600, Mach1) on the Losmandy mount. At this point all you need to do is drill and tap holes in the top that match the ones on the iEQ45 as you don't even need to buy the iOptron top plate unless you want to use it as a template.

https://astro-physics.com/lt2apm

Edited by photoracer18, 19 September 2019 - 04:15 PM.

#3 js76

js76

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

This is great, thank you! I had no idea this product existed. I could either do as you suggest, or buy the iOptron top plate also, and attach it to the AP adapter. Even drilling and tapping is far beyond my abilities. I have a friend I might impose on to help with either of those plans. Just need to get him a nice bottle of bourbon and we should be set. Thanks!

If the only kind of machining you can do is drilling and tapping then buy an Astro-Physics LT2APM adapter. What this does is bolt to the top of a Losmandy tripod or MA adapter and has a flat plate on top drilled with holes for the ADATRI adapter so you can mount an AP Mount (400, 600, Mach1) on the Losmandy mount. At this point all you need to do is drill and tap holes in the top that match the ones on the iEQ45 as you don't even need to buy the iOptron top plate unless you want to use it as a template.

https://astro-physics.com/lt2apm

#4 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

Making an adapter is actually pretty simple but it does require drilling. Here is one that I made and it works really well

https://www.cloudyni...-man-cave-ever/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics