•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PixInsight "Waiting for running tasks to terminate..."

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Startex

Startex

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:31 PM

Running PI on my laptop takes a loooong time.  I started Prebatch processing over 12 hours ago and for the last few hours it's been stuck on "Waiting for running tasks to terminate" the task listed before that is 

"C:/Users/metro/Desktop/IC63-CALIBRATED/IC63CALIBRATED-2/calibrated/light/REF_DSC_0002_Session0A25_a_c.xisf"

REF_DSC_0002_Session0A25  is my reference frame from subframe selector.

The little light blue circle that rotates when something is going on I think, will spin and then stop for a while. Also, it says "running" at the bottom left of the task window.

I know I need to upgrade and I will soon but this is what I have to work with now. I guess my question is, am I anywhere near the end of the process?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

Need way more info.  What's the OS, laptop CPU, CPU speed, memory, HDD or SSD, how many subs and of what size, what PI release ...?

EDIT - Also disk size and available space.

Edited by Jim Waters, 19 September 2019 - 06:04 PM.

• bobzeq25 and scadvice like this

#3 dpaigen

dpaigen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Start up a system monitor (System Information, or top/ntop/htop, or Task Manager, etc) and look at what is going on.  Is your CPU active?  Are there any disk writes?  Is there any swapping or paging?

* If the CPU is high then the program is still working.  Small chance of something broken.

* If the disk is moderately active the program is still working.  High activity is not a good sign and suggests some fault.

* If there is a lot of swapping then your machine is thrashing.  It is spending more time swapping than computing.  Kill the process, kill all other apps, and try again.  You may even want to reboot.

You can also open up all the temp and working directories that PI uses and check the file modification times in there.  If you find any file or directory with a current time then the program is still working.

As a general rule, a program that shows no progress after several hours is stuck.  Stop it and try again.  If you get stuck in the same place, then there might be a real problem.

Note: I am assuming that you have done this successfully before, that you have not changed your OS or app versions, that you have not installed anything else, and that your machine has not been changed at all.  And I am assuming you are using data files from the same camera and a similar number of exposures as in the past.

Which reminds me of an amusing anecdote.  I was once asked to fix a bug where the customer's software froze up on a particular dataset.  I spent a week tracing the block to a sort routine supplied by the OS, which had me pawing through the OS code looking for changes (we had a source license) and drawing blanks.  One day I was down in the machine room (it was that long ago) and over the noise of all the fans and industrial AC I heard the disk drive.  What the hell?  I ran a system check then looked at the size of the dataset.  Then I stormed into my boss's office.

me: this file is 100 times larger than normal!

boss:  Yes.

me: ??!?!?!!$$#^*&

boss: the customer decided to consolidate their paper trail.  They used to run each sales counter separately and now they run them all at once.  There are 160 sales counters.

me: I can't fix this!  It would take 100 times as much memory and 1000 times as much time!  Tell the customer to stop doing that!

My boss didn't want to tell the customer that.  But he finally realized that even "the customer is always right" has to bow to the laws of physics.  I parted ways from that company soon after.

-David

#4 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

i'd also add to david's good advice that if you do use the task manager to kill pixinsight that all of its swap files are going to be left on your disk cluttering things up. so you need to delete them but don't do it while any instance of PI is running with any images open on the desktop or you will be deleting active swap files. it's safest to do it while PI is not running.

rob

#5 Startex

Startex

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:10 PM

Well I had to force a shut down but when I rebooted and fired up PI the calibration had finished and I had my image. undecided.gif

I think "new gaming desktop" just went to the top of my want list. I can deal with oblong stars at the edge of my images, everything gets drastically cropped anyway. And I can deal with shooting at f6 with the ED80 so the focal reducer and field flattener will have to wait. I can't deal with these long wait times.

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

Well I had to force a shut down but when I rebooted and fired up PI the calibration had finished and I had my image. undecided.gif

I think "new gaming desktop" just went to the top of my want list. I can deal with oblong stars at the edge of my images, everything gets drastically cropped anyway. And I can deal with shooting at f6 with the ED80 so the focal reducer and field flattener will have to wait. I can't deal with these long wait times.

We just had a very good discussion about this.

https://www.cloudyni...lly-fast/page-3

Bottom lines.  The first thing you want is more cores, more threads.  The next is something fast for PI's swap files, either an SSD or a RAMDisk.

Another possibility is Astro Pixel Processor.  Quite competent, easier and faster than PI.  I've used both.

Edited by bobzeq25, 19 September 2019 - 11:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics