•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starizona Night Owl-C6-294MC-224MC Review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:21 PM

after being out of EAA for the past 3 years I admittedly jumped on a few familiar purchases and a few hype train products.  a c6, avx mount a 224 camera and the night owl.

using SharpCap and my prior knowledge I was quickly able to produce satisfying images without issue.  my only issue was the FOV since the size of the sensor was only 6mm.

after a few months, I danced between the 183 and 294..the night owl was designed with a 183 sensor size (16mm) in mind but I wanted BIG..BIGGER IS BETTER RIGHT??

so I purchased the 294.

the 294 was even easier to setup since it came with all the exact sized spacers I would need for back focus from the night owl..perfect

I started it up full frame..HIGH REZZZ...sharpcap polar align was a breeze with this 23mm chip..it saw like..like..the universe almost !!

but it also saw vignette and coma and the occasional sct things like some reflections from the reducers or internals or whatever..idk..

I COULD NOT GET A FLAT FIELD..TOO MUCH VIGNETTE TO GET A GOOD FLAT>>BRIGHT CORE OR EDGES frown.gif

so then I dabbled with the celestron 6.3 reducer and had an amazing 3 nights in a row of EAA..I saw little things and big things..things I've never seen before!!

BUT the edges were even worse but the vignette was managed by a flat.

so then I reached out to starizona and they gave me the tested resolution size for the night owl and a 183 and 294 sensor..the size doesn't fit one available in SharpCap so I settled on 

3104X2116..they recommended 2848w by 1952h

flats corrected the vignette (1.5s) keeps the core tame so it doesn't blow out during a stretch and the corners are nicely blended.  a few edge areas show some needed help but its just the limit of what I am working with at this point!  the 294 camera is just super amazing and the night owl reducer is proving a great option!  a 224 at $250 is super as well and will service me for planets.

ill provide the images here and it should be fairly obvious what is what but feel free to ask any questions!  I was tempted to sell the scope and reducer and try another combo but now this system is proving to work great and the 294 is of course very flexible for any wide field scope that I will be adding in the future.

you can also subscribe to my youtube channel below..it mostly has focused on drone and fpv content but will be shifting to astronomy related materials.

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Edited by biomedchad, 19 September 2019 - 07:24 PM.

• OleCuss and MrPablo like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

That's all very interesting.  I just subscribed to your YouTube channel :)

So I assume the Night Owl is not suited for DSLRs  due to the backspace requirement?

#3 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

That's all very interesting.  I just subscribed to your YouTube channel smile.gif

So I assume the Night Owl is not suited for DSLRs  due to the backspace requirement?

thank you..trying to keep it easy and basic to get the most out of eaa and not overcomplicate it.  and thanks for the sub..I promise to deliver.

the reason you wouldn't use the night owl for a DSLR is that it was produced for a 16mm sensor size and below and to be an upgrade at a decent price for us sct users who do not want to commit to something like hyper star at 4-5 times the cost. (except for the 6 inch one)  you can reach focus with some kind of rigged up spacing but your useable image circle will be a mess since its bigger then what I was managing to work around.

#4 steste1122

steste1122

Sputnik

• ***--

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

Did you give Starizona a call?  I ordered the Night Owl and a 294MC at the same time.  While talking to Starizona I mentioned that I had a C6 and they did not recommend this sensor combination, at least not without cropping the image down.  I was ordering the 294 mainly for my WO Star 71 so its not a problem.  The largest they recommend is 16mm.

#5 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:08 AM

Did you give Starizona a call?  I ordered the Night Owl and a 294MC at the same time.  While talking to Starizona I mentioned that I had a C6 and they did not recommend this sensor combination, at least not without cropping the image down.  I was ordering the 294 mainly for my WO Star 71 so its not a problem.  The largest they recommend is 16mm.

all the details are in the post. the size they recommended over email and what I had to use.

#6 sudeepban

sudeepban

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

I'm very interested in this topic, I'm purchasing the 294MC very soon and have been considering either the Starizona 0.4x reducer or Celestron 6.3 reducer, leaning towards the latter right now. Can you elaborate a bit more on the edges and vignetting you saw with the 6.3? I have no first hand experience yet with these kinds of issues that surface in imaging, so I'm trying to gauge if the problems you saw are something I could live with as I get started with EAA or mitigate down the line with flats, etc.

Also, the images you posted seem a bit grainy or low res. Is that a flickr issue?

EDIT: image quality issues appear to have been due to my poor cell service at the time, the pics look great now

Edited by sudeepban, 20 September 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#7 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

I'm very interested in this topic, I'm purchasing the 294MC very soon and have been considering either the Starizona 0.4x reducer or Celestron 6.3 reducer, leaning towards the latter right now. Can you elaborate a bit more on the edges and vignetting you saw with the 6.3? I have no first hand experience yet with these kinds of issues that surface in imaging, so I'm trying to gauge if the problems you saw are something I could live with as I get started with EAA or mitigate down the line with flats, etc.

Also, the images you posted seem a bit grainy or low res. Is that a flickr issue?

EDIT: image quality issues appear to have been due to my poor cell service at the time, the pics look great now

the pics are labeled F4 and F7..you would have to choose for yourself if you're willing to deal with it or not.  I think the cropped sensor and starizona reducer perform a lot better then the celestron reducer.  the best option would be to move to a refractor that can handle the full sensor size.  I will add a 70-80mm to my setup and have the best of both worlds.

using the celestron reducer at full sensor resolution, you can always use the zoom feature to clean up the large ring on the outside by simply not looking at it.

the starizona reducer cannot be used effectively without cropping the sensor in SharpCap because you cannot create a flat that doesn't correct the entire field of view due to the large amount of black around the frame.  so you get either too dark corners or too bright center and that ruins your images as you stretch them.

• sudeepban and MrPablo like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics