•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Gemini Controller Motherboard

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ansu

Ansu

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ashtabula, Ohio

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

Hello CN,
Looking for some pointers on how to go about fixing my G11 Gemini 1 Controller with RJ cables and not round connectors.

I have been using this mount for almost forever though considered myself as second owner for over 12 years. The controller hasn’t been perfect for past one year or so with CMOS battery. Every time I put a new battery it will stop booting so for some time now I have been using my laptop to load location and other settings via serial port and recently that also stopped working.
Upon inspection discovered a dead spider inside and a burnt resistor. Question is if the old motherboard is salvageable and who can fix or shall I start look for an upgrade?
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you, Ansuman.

Attached Thumbnails

• Motherboard_G.jpg

Edited by Ansu, 19 September 2019 - 10:53 PM.

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

I don't have the skills to fix a PC board, but if you do it doesn't sound like you have anything to lose by trying.

Losmandy will sell you a Gemini II controller for $600 if you send in your old Gemini I.  At least that was the deal when I sent my Gemini I in last spring.  You might want to call and double check that the deal is good whether your Gemini I is working or not, just in case your fixes don't work.  Losmandy will also double check your cable inventory and make sure your servos will work with the Gemini II.  Or maybe that's just double check you have servos and not steppers.  Why you'd have steppers and a Gemini, I don't know.   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics