•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

anyone have experience collimating a triplet?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dirty Jersey

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

I recently bought an ED 102 triplet APO for a star party in a few days (second hand), and it requires collimation.  

I am on the fence.  Do I meddle with it (i have PLENTY of experience collimating an R/C scope which has much more complexity) or have it collimated under warranty?  I would hate to waste the chance to use a widefield refractor at a dark site (BFSP)  Looks simple enough with the adjustment screws on the front of the scope.  

GskRg5n.png

wg5w8u2.png

First light:  https://i.imgur.com/pbrshp9.jpg

(see bottom left especially)

I also bought the field flattener for this scope and all the proper adapters.

The Sharpcap screen captures are with the focal reducer/field flattener made my explore scientific, and the M13 image is with an astrotech field flattener.

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

Triplets often have smalls screws on the sides of the glass elements to center them.  This is in addition to the usual tip/tilt screws which move the entire cell on the OTA.  There may also be adjustments for tilting the focuser on the OTA.  Probably between a laser, cheshire tool, and star test you should be able to figure it out.

#3 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:19 AM

laser?  what is the beam reflecting off of?  Cheshire?  What is the ring reflecting off of?  I dont really see any way to collimate other than a star test.  lasers and cheshires require some form of reflecting off a mirror.  

#4 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

You should get (weak) reflections from each air-spaced surface of a triplet.

#5 nateman_doo

nateman_doo

Viking 1

• **---
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

I put my cheshire in there and I saw nothing.  Didnt put the laser in there, so I guess I will look more into it. I called the manufacturer and they said me fiddling with the collimation wont do any harm in terms of the warranty.  So thats good. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics