•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nagler 4.8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:45 PM

Maybe because i red a lot about the observations with the Nagler 4.8 made by Sue French and  Stephen James O'Meara, i have always have an  interesting in this discontuned TV ep.

Here on CN the last couple of years i read less and less reviews about this EP. I understand that TV and others have brought several ep's on the market (5 and 4mm) which makes this EP kind of obsolete. 

Let's make this straight, I don't "need" this EP/focallenght because i have already some good EP's in this range....but...my i interesting still exsist in the Nagler 4.8...

- What do you think when there is nice used occasion to bite, shall i bite or should i let go and forget this Nagler 4.8?

- Are others still using this Nagler 4.8 and why is that?

Hope to read some reflections about this classic ( at least I think I can call this a classic) EP? 

#2 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

I really like the 4.8.  Eye relief is tight but it has much less lateral color and distortion than the 5mm T6.  Mine gets very frequent use in my TV85.

Dave

• Traveler likes this

#3 starguy4

starguy4

Lift Off

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:21 PM

Hi
I used to have this eyepiece when I owned a 10 inch dob. I mainly used it to observe Jupiter at 250x.
It delivered very contrasty views with extremely good edge sharpness and little or no CA. I
sold it a few years back and now own a 5mm Nagler
which seems to have similar contrast and sharpness but to my eye, seems to be somewhat brighter. This
may be due to better coatings on newer EP models. I also have a 9mm Nagler T1 smoothy which
also has excellent edge sharpness but again is not quite as bright as my 9mm Nagler T6.

#4 tomjones

tomjones

Viking 1

• Loc: along the 32nd parallel

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:03 AM

It was good when it came out, but now.................

It's like junk bond status, anything newer is better.

#5 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:13 AM

...in better then already perfect Tom?

(as a non native English speaker i had to look up that "junk bond status" btw wink.gif)

#6 213Cobra

213Cobra

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:27 AM

I sold a Nagler 4.8mm last year, after using it for 35 years. It was outstanding when introduced and all of its attributes in contrast and full-field sharpness were still present and competitive the day I sold it. But eye relief was almost unusably tight (at least for me) which I put up with for 3-1/2 decades. The Takahashi UW 3.3mm and 5.7mm bracketed it with same attributes, even wider 90° and much more acceptable eye relief, and accepting the narrower 62° of the 5, 4, 3mm TV DeLites brought even better contrast and more eye relief still. Then accepting the narrower 52° of the Takahashi 4, 3.3mm TOE wrung a little more contrast still, at better eye relief than the N4.8. Once I acquired those choices, I let the Nagler 4.8 go. But, 35 years! Can't complain about that. When I bought it in 1983, competition was 5mm Plossl, Orthos, Kellners, etc, which were even less usable than the Nagler 4.8.

Phil

• Traveler likes this

#7 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:04 AM

Do still use my 4.8 Nagler, but takes better than average sky at over 200x in my frequently used

XT8I dob. Yes is abit tight on eye relief, before my eye corrections, the smaller opening reduced

My astigmatism issues.

It's a good buy often half price makes it one to consider on the used Market!

Currently my slightly lower magnification more often used due to average sky's. Nice to have it

On the exceptional sky, even successfully group viewed and barlowed it on the rarest steady Sky!

Treat then to have It! It's always there when needed!

Personally too many eyepieces doesn't exist, more the better for me!
  • Traveler likes this

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:34 AM

I have a 4.8 mm Nagler smoothie that I have had for a number of years.  I also have 5mm Type 6.  I call the 4.8mm the "Nagler Ortho" due to it's short eye relief.  In my scopes, along with the 3.5mm,  it's my favorite double star eyepiece but usually gets Barlowed.  It's also very good on the planets if the seeing supports that sort of magnification.  

I'd say go for it.

Jon

• Traveler and Kutno like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics