•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Avalon T-130 for Losmandy G11 and Vixen GP and Celestron AVX EQ Heads?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:05 AM

Has anyone tried  using an Avalon T-130 tripod with a Losmandy G11 Equatorial head? Are the avaiable adapters simple bolt ons that just work as expected?

If so, how is the stability of this tripod with the G11 Head? What scopes are you using with it. Im considering this combo for my 6" ED152 APM refractor and also my C11 scope.

Also, has anyone tried this Tripod with a Vixen GP Equatorial head also? I have a GP-DX and am considering options to add a more robust tripod for my equatorial head. How does this combo work, and what scope are you using with this combination?

Finally, has anyone tried this tripod with a Celestron AVX or CGEM mount? This would look like very nice option also.

Im curious, I havent seen much written on this tripod, maybe because they are expensive and not needed in most situations?

Thanks in advance for any comments on any of this?

...Ralph

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

I use the iOptron Tri-Pier with my AP400, AP600, and my G11 Gemini 1. I bought the iOptron AP adapter (more expensive than it should be) for the AP mounts and then put the AP Losmandy adapter ion top of that when I want to use the G11 on it. The Tri-Pier can almost be raised enough to equal an AP 54" tall 6" D portable pier and there is a riser for the Tri-pier that can be added to get more height if needed.

This is the Tri-Pier head w/ AP adapter:

8036-4T.jpg

This is the Tri-Pier with the AP600 mount on it.

AP600-1024.gif

Its possible the Tak and SW adapter would fit the GP/GP DX as it fits SW EQ5 and EQ6.

• Phil Cowell likes this

#3 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

I remember looking brielfy at those piers but they were too short and the Avalon T-130 just unfolds and is ready to use.

That to me is the beautiful of the Avalon tripod. Just unfold it and use it, and it would fit both my large and small equatorial mounts I have.

Your set up looks awesome!

...Ralph

Edited by aa6ww, 20 September 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#4 A Y

A Y

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern California, USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:46 PM

They have adapters for all of your mounts. I have the Vixen GP and Discmounts adapters on my T-110, and they work well. I use the Vixen adapter with a Skywatcher EQM-35 head, and the DM adapter with a Stellarvue pier which has a 3/8-inch standard photo size screw. The adapters come with no instructions, but it's not hard to figure out how to put them on.

Just go to optcorp.com, and search for TPOD. The adapters will show up in the search results.

#5 orangeusa

orangeusa

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:47 PM

This classified for a G11 appeared to have that combo. Mebbe you could PM him...

https://www.cloudyni...uatorial-mount/

#6 astronewbster

astronewbster

Vostok 1

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Ralph,

I use a Avalon TPod 130 tripod and have used a G11 on it for a few sessions.  I also currently use it with an AP1100.  It's a very sturdy tripod!!!  I bought a 4 inch extension so I wouldn't have any issues with my 130 apo or 155 apo scopes for clearance.  I love the TPod 130!! smile.gif

Here is the parts list information.

Part no. - description

EX4 - 4 inch tall Tripod Extension on Losmandy website.  This will let the G11's MA 6-inch bottom attach to this.

LM2APT - Adapter to attach Losmandy mount to 6" Portable Pier on Astro-physics website.

ADATRI - Flat Surface Tripod Adapter on Astro-physics website.  I believe M6 or M8 screws are used to attach to the tripod top.

For mounting it, the part list would go:
G11 head --> EX4 --> LM2APT --> ADATRI --> T-pod 130

This will give you the following setup in the picture below.

IMG_2258 copy 2.jpg

IMG_2259 copy 2.jpg

Hopefully, this will be helpful.  Enjoy your mount and tripod!!

Clear skies!

#7 astronewbster

astronewbster

Vostok 1

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

Here's a pic of the AP1100 and Tpod 130 ready for a night of viewing!

IMG_1852 copy.jpg

#8 astronewbster

astronewbster

Vostok 1

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

Ralph,

Here's the picture you've been waiting for!  (at least I hope so.  lol)

The 130 apo, G11 and Tpod 130 ready for a night of viewing!

IMG_3813 copy.jpg

#9 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

The refractor looks great with the G11 and the T-Pod. Thanks. I'm going to order the black one so it fits my new AVX and my G11.

...Ralph

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics