•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoculars for a 7 year old?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nof

nof

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:24 AM

Hello, any recommendations for a 7 yr old who has asked for binoculars? Not heavy and obviously nothing expensive, but I know from my own experience as a child that junk will turn off his interest. Thanks!

#2 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:59 AM

https://oberwerk.com...ght-binoculars/

Stan

• SMark and Jim Davis like this

#3 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:19 AM

Hello nof,

among the small light weight binoculars, I find the Kowa YF Porro (designed in Japan)

https://www.kowaprod...culars-product/

pretty nice.

A short test by myself has revealed very good contrast and color saturation, better than on some other ones, which cost eventually twice as much if not even more.

Hoping this helps,

JG

• hallelujah likes this

#4 Grimnir

Grimnir

Viking 1

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

Hello, any recommendations for a 7 yr old who has asked for binoculars? Not heavy and obviously nothing expensive, but I know from my own experience as a child that junk will turn off his interest. Thanks!

You must check his IPD.

https://www.cloudyni...n-for-children/

I bought the Kowa which is a decent glass for those with a small IPD.

Graham

#5 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:58 AM

Hi nof

Whatever you choose, make sure it fits the IPD (horizontal distance between the eye pupils) of the 7 year old. Children often have IPDs in the low 50mm range, and many binos don‘t go below 56-58mm.

6x magnification is a good idea for children, depending on the child, it can also be 7x or even 8x.

The Oberwerk quoted above by Stan would work (51mm), the Kowa YF mentioned by JG (which is certainly a good choice also) would need to be checked, I have not found the IPD in the specs. Maybe JG knows and can tell you?

The Pentax Papilio 6.5x21

https://www.birdwatc...ax_papilio.html

is also a good choice and often used by schools because it allows you to observe at very short distance (50 cm) and can therefore be used for insects, butterflies etc. as well as for all other uses of a binocular. Again, check IPD (the Papilio goes only down to 56mm).

Pinac

• hallelujah and j.gardavsky like this

#6 nof

nof

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:15 AM

Thanks to all of you, especially for telling me to measure the distance between his pupils first. Very useful advice!

#7 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

Hello nof,

among the small light weight binoculars, I find the Kowa YF Porro (designed in Japan)

https://www.kowaprod...culars-product/

pretty nice.

A short test by myself has revealed very good contrast and color saturation, better than on some other ones, which cost eventually twice as much if not even more.

Hoping this helps,

JG

https://www.bhphotov...Top Nav-Search=

Stan

#8 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

I like those.

#9 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Mariner 2

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:55 AM

If you search eBay or AliExpress for "binocular 6x24" you will see plenty from China for ~$50.  I would take a chance on one.

Pros:  Very high quality view.  (I have some of the finest and most expensive binos, and I think the view in this 6x24 is great.  Really good coatings.  Shockingly clear detail even at 6x.) Individual focus is an easy way for a kid to get correct focus.  Center focus is complicated, even for a newbie adult.  IPD of this model goes almost to zero, should fit any human, any age.  Of course 6x mag is great for a kid, steadier view.  Wide angle.  Cheap ... if it's a mistake, then not a terrible one.  On both sites, in event of disappointment, seller might want to please. 

Cons:  Quality control risk on any China product ... could arrive not collimated, or other optical or mechanical issue.  Even if the product description doesn't say so or show it ... could come with a reticle.  Not sure that's awful for a kid.  And not sure how hard to remove from one eyepiece. 

These have been made for many years in China, so one can hope that by now they are getting it right.  Of course they are unashamed to mark the product 'Germany'.  A couple/few years back I bought one that I am saving for my granddaughter.  She just turned six, so probably I should gift it to her.  Meantime I like looking through it.

#10 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

Hi nof

Whatever you choose, make sure it fits the IPD (horizontal distance between the eye pupils) of the 7 year old. Children often have IPDs in the low 50mm range, and many binos don‘t go below 56-58mm.

6x magnification is a good idea for children, depending on the child, it can also be 7x or even 8x.

The Oberwerk quoted above by Stan would work (51mm), the Kowa YF mentioned by JG (which is certainly a good choice also) would need to be checked, I have not found the IPD in the specs. Maybe JG knows and can tell you?

The Pentax Papilio 6.5x21

https://www.birdwatc...ax_papilio.html

is also a good choice and often used by schools because it allows you to observe at very short distance (50 cm) and can therefore be used for insects, butterflies etc. as well as for all other uses of a binocular. Again, check IPD (the Papilio goes only down to 56mm).

Pinac

Hello Pinac, hello nof,

I did not check it at vendor's back in the day, but one pic on the Kowa page shows the 6x30 with the IPD down to 50.

Next week I will possibly visit the Leidig's in Nürnberg, and I can take the YF in my hands there.

The used to be royal opticien Leidig can measure the IPD.

Let me know if it helps,

JG

PS: There are of course also other well suited choices among the binoculars for kids.

#11 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

Individual focus is an easy way for a kid to get correct focus. 

Center focus is complicated, even for a newbie adult.

Individual focus is ideal for stargazing for most? individuals.

It is definitely not ideal for daytime use when focus distance is constantly changing.

Years ago I had an I.F. giant binocular for stargazing & it seemed that I was always tweaking the focus & it was highly annoying. crazyeyes.gif Eyecrazy.gif

Perhaps it was temperature related, or, perhaps my eyes were just too tired at the

end of the day, or both.

I ended up returning it. dislike.gif

Today I own only one 7x50 Individual Focus binocular out of dozens of center focus binoculars. like-button.jpg

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 20 September 2019 - 12:07 PM.

• Grimnir and j.gardavsky like this

#12 nof

nof

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

Thanks to all for the assistance! very useful advice, I'll see what I can locate locally.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#13 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:00 PM

I second the Oberwerk 6.5×32 LW.

The optics and build far exceed their pricepoint and the IPD minimum measurement is exceedingly low (51).

I've spent hours and hours with these glasses and he won't lose interest for performance reasons.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics