•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Great Nebula in Carina @ 250mm

dslr dso astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, NT, Australia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:41 AM

G'day all,

Dust storm today…second one this week. The clouds that rolled in with the cold front blowing through were tinged a deep orange and cast a post-apocalyptic hue across the outback for most of the day. Visibility was poor, and the air was…well…chewy…gritty. So in spite of the waning moon, there's no AP for me this weekend.

Fortunately, I was inspired to go back to some of my oldest usable data. I shot the Eta Carina Nebula back in 2017 through my kit Canon 55-250, but I'd written it off since I bought my Canon 200mm f/2.8L II. But I processed it way before last year's lessons from Wirtanen, and my processing methods have progressed considerably even since then. So lacking anything to shoot, I reprocessed the old data. It didn't disappoint:

Carina Nebula Reprocessed

Carina Nebula 2017-05-24, 51˚ elevation
Canon 55-250 f/4.5-5.6 @ 250mm f/5.6
Canon T3i (stock), Generic EQ2 mount
11×30sec@ISO3200, 100×bias, 100×darks
Aligned & stacked in Lynkeos v3.1
Processed in Photoshop CS5 w/
Annie's Astro Actions 7.0 & Astronomy Tools v1.6
Scaled to 29%, cropped to 927×1002

Tropic of Capricorn, Northern Territory, Australia

Hope your weather is…more breathable…

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 20 September 2019 - 05:44 AM.

• zjc26138, Starman27, jambroseus and 7 others like this

#2 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

That's some good work, BQ.  Nice image with a kit lens. Hope your air clears soon.  Our air issue is too much rain from Tropical Storm Imelda. Six inches here at our place, 12 inches about 10 miles from here and 30 or so inches about 50 miles east.

#3 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

Nice image of that fantastic object. I think it could legitimately be called The Great Nebula. And then all the other major nebulae would be referenced to their home constellations. But that one is the greatest in all the sky and a real contender for the greatest object in all the sky.

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:49 PM

That's some good work, BQ.  Nice image with a kit lens. Hope your air clears soon.  Our air issue is too much rain from Tropical Storm Imelda. Six inches here at our place, 12 inches about 10 miles from here and 30 or so inches about 50 miles east.

Thanks, for the kind words, Jerobe.

As for the rainfall, crikey! I was in San Antonio for Harvey…not much rain materialized there, but Houston was a real mess with 50 inches! Hope Imelda is a bit kinder…

BQ

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

Thanks to all for the likes!

Nice image of that fantastic object. I think it could legitimately be called The Great Nebula. And then all the other major nebulae would be referenced to their home constellations. But that one is the greatest in all the sky and a real contender for the greatest object in all the sky.

Thanks havasman. The Carina Nebula is fun to explore at practically any magnification. It's the only nebula in which I've detected color with my unaided eye—the reddish Homonculus Nebula within it contrasts sharply with the bluish region around the Keyhole Nebula.

There's a great post on Ice in Space that shows the relative sizes of the Carina and Orion nebulas—both apparent and actual. If the Carina Nebula were the distance of the Orion Nebula it would take up 20˚ in the sky! But my favorite is actually the Tarantula Nebula…under moderately dark skies I can make it out with the unaided eye—and it's in another galaxy altogether! By my numbers, if the Tarantula Nebula were as close as the Orion Nebula, it would take up a whopping 80˚!

BQ

• havasman likes this

#6 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

Excellent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, dso, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics