•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dumb, clumsy move - but what now? MX+

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

Hi, Paramount users (in particular),

Last night in my observatory I wasn't totally aware of where the counterweights were in relation to my head and I stood up abruptly, cracking my skull against the 60 pounds of counterweight. Ouch.

I then subsequently noticed the aiming had shifted slightly - my current target was a few arcmin off-center.

FIgured I may as well build a new pointing model, just in case.

224 of 231 points later, model complete. 7 arcsec - I can live with that.

BUT - it also warned me my polar alignment was off slightly.  I made the recommended small adjustments in both axes - was that a mistake?

Do I now have to do the whole modeling all over again?   Clouds came in before I could see the post-adjustment goto and tracking accuracy.

I feel such an idiot :(

Grant

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

I expect you were slightly concussed! Excusable.

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:46 AM

My 10u needs a new model after I adjust the polar axis.  The models are pretty specific; I would probably run a new one to make sure it's performing correctly.

• psandelle likes this

#4 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

• Loc: NW of Harper, TX

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:18 AM

The model is just for pointing accuracy unless you activate Protrack. The polar alignment will keep the target from drifting and improve your tracking. If you did the "accurate polar alignment" right after you finished the pointing model, you are good. That is exactly how you do it.

I usually redo a pointing model after any equipment change or after several months with my permanent setup. Or, after whacking my head on the scope or counterweights!

Randall

Edited by rms40, 20 September 2019 - 09:22 AM.

• psandelle, RedLionNJ, Raginar and 1 other like this

#5 tjugo

tjugo

Apollo

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

No need to redo the model after performing the recommended polar adjustments. The model will be 'adjusted' accordingly to the suggested changes.

Cheers,

Jose

• RedLionNJ likes this

#6 pkrallis

pkrallis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

Hey, what else have you got to do to keep you off the street and out of trouble? smile.gif 

#7 DS INC

DS INC

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

224 of 231 points later, model complete. 7 arcsec - I can live with that.

BUT - it also warned me my polar alignment was off slightly.  I made the recommended small adjustments in both axes - was that a mistake?

Do I now have to do the whole modeling all over again?   Clouds came in before I could see the post-adjustment goto and tracking accuracy.

Sounds like you are referring to the TPoint polar alignment report, if so and you adjusted the mount with the Alt/Az adjusters you should at least do a re cal portable mount.

As stated in post # 4 above if you did an APA the model is adjusted automatically after you center the star and finish but if you were not using APA a portable re cal at least is in order (the polar axis has been moved and TPoint does not know about it).

When you do a model the polar report can be (slightly) different every time, in this case its best to do nothing as TPoint will take care of any errors.  Once you adjust the mount, TPoint needs to know, re cal portable does this.

Remember the model is only updated if using APA, if just using TPoint nothing is updated if you adjust the mount this is why a re cal portable is in order (resets the MA and ME terms).

• RedLionNJ likes this

#8 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

Thanks, in particular DS_INC - that was my guess, since the model wouldn't KNOW I had adjusted the axes.

So tonight I'll do a recal portable (even though it's definitely not portable).  If my head stops hurting........OUCH

#9 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

Ouch is right.  You would have to hit your head *hard* to disrupt the polar alignment of an MX+, loaded for imaging.

I've hit my head (more than) a few times on several of my heavier setups, but not hard enough to disrupt the alignment.

#10 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:56 AM

No kidding, Wade. Still throbs a bit, days later!

And that you, everybody - I did as advised last night (quick 30-point recal for a portable) and everything is AOK again - excellent tracking all across the sky, able to get multi-minute unguided exposures and also to put the likes of Uranus and Neptune on a tiny planetary cam sensor.  Couldn't ask for much more.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics