•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX 200 Handbox

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RLS Astronomy

RLS Astronomy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:40 PM

Looking to repair an LX200 Handbox that I “let the smoke out” on while trying to repair a power supply. Any leads on a schematic (I flamed c2) and in replacement parts? I also flamed through the ribbon cable.

Conversely, is there a good source for a replacement or is there an OTC Handbox that would work?
  • John Steele likes this

#2 terridus_capidus

terridus_capidus

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Anaheim, CA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

I have two extra LX 200 hand boxes that are going up for sale soon in good condition.

Started to buy extras for that reason. I have two more I’m keeping.

Let me know if your interested in one or both.

Thanks

• RLS Astronomy likes this

#3 mdbradshaw

mdbradshaw

Vendor - Axis Squared LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:08 AM

Should be two parts, the capacitor (replace with any 10microfarad 50V capacitor), and the ribbon cable.  The cable is harder, but there is a shop that makes a new keypad skin with new ribbon cable, the swap takes about 30 minutes including replacing the capacitor.  Search the internet for "Ron Sampson" to find his contact info.  

I can also swap you a good one for your broken one.  What version is it (back side of paddle, at the bottom)?

• Skywatchr and RLS Astronomy like this

#4 RLS Astronomy

RLS Astronomy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Should be two parts, the capacitor (replace with any 10microfarad 50V capacitor), and the ribbon cable.  The cable is harder, but there is a shop that makes a new keypad skin with new ribbon cable, the swap takes about 30 minutes including replacing the capacitor.  Search the internet for "Ron Sampson" to find his contact info.  

I can also swap you a good one for your broken one.  What version is it (back side of paddle, at the bottom)?

mbradshaw - it is Revision 3.21

• Skywatchr likes this

#5 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:03 AM

It's a 6.8uf 25v Tantalum capacitor. I replace them with either a 35v, or 50v modern Kemet 6.8uf tantalum capacitor, whichever I have on hand at the time. The motherboard, and power panel each need one changed out as well in the voltage regulator circuit.  And yes, Ron Sampson is "the guy" RLS Astronomy should contact.

• RLS Astronomy likes this

#6 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:15 PM

Make sure you are using a regulated power supply. If its the original Meade power supply they were known for spanking the caps with voltage spikes. Many people, myself included, use laptop power supplies. Change out the other caps too, it's cheap insurance because more WILL fail. After losing the cap in the hand controller like you, I replaced the cap and ribbon cable, changed the power supply and ignored the advice of others. A year later I fired up the scope after not using it for a few months and watched as the ammeter pegged, followed by smoke coming out from the power panel. Fortunately, another cap self destructed without taking out other components. Changed the rest after that. Learned me lesson when I picked up a used LXD650 and swapped all the caps right away. 

• Skywatchr and RLS Astronomy like this

#7 John Steele

John Steele

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

If I did this right, the attached file is schematic of the LX200 Classic Hand controller. This is my first time uploading a file, so I hope it works. It is from the now defunct TelescopeService.com website.

Everyone else has already talked about the capacitor replacements to do on the hand box, however, there are many more capacitors to replace in the rest of the scope.

Attached Files

#8 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

You smoked the tant cap in the HC. If you burned through the ribbon, and you say you did. THAT HC is done. Finito. Time to move on and buy a secondhand unit on CN Classifieds. Or, you could get the conversion kit to change the LX200 Classic to the modified one with the 495 HC. About 450-500 dollars.

STARKID2U

Edited by Starkid2u, 08 October 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#9 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

And run your system at 12V DC! May slew a little slower, but reduces chance of an overvoltage event.

#10 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

I repaired a couple of these scopes  for club members over the years. I was getting replacement key pads from Ron Sampson. Hopefully he is still making and selling them because they worked great. Here is a link to how to replace the key pad http://www.imjeffp.com/handcontroller/ that also has Ron's Email. 

I also recommend that you replace all the electrolyic caps in the hand controller and the base with ones rated at 25 to 30 volts instead of the ones reated at only 16 volts. When done it is then  safe to run the scope at 12 to 18 volts. 

- Dave 

#11 rferrante

rferrante

Clearline Technology Corp.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, California

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:01 PM

I can affirm that Ron is still selling the replacement keypads, as of a few weeks ago. They are about $50.00 and an easy fix for your hand controller. Cheaper than any other option. That, plus capacitor replacement as mentioned above will get you back in business.

--Rob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics