•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Question About Chinese-made 2" Celestron Filters

eyepieces Celestron accessories
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Uncle Milt

Uncle Milt

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

A Funky Set of Celestron 2" Filters

I recently obtained a set of Chinese-made 2" Celestron filters in a 2" Eyepiece kit, and they are -- to say the least -- rather odd.

First of all, the filter threads do not seem to be quite the right size / pitch for most 2" oculars, and they do not thread in more

than a turn or two.  How does this happen?

Next, their colors do not seem to match their description in the case of the green and blue filters.  The green filter is labeled as

a #58, but it is much closer to a lighter #56 filter.  The #80A approximates a standard #38A, so I am wondering if someone just

put the wrong filter in a #80A cell in this case.  The red, orange, and yellow filters seem "closer" to their standard counterparts,

using, in most cases, Tiffen (Wratten-based) filters for comparison.

Finally, these filters do not seem to be coated, and I have yet to do a full aperture star test on any of them.  The Japanese-made

Celestron filters that I have tested in the past seem to be uniformly good, so it will be interesting to see how good -- or not --

these are.  Granted, these are not "expensive" filters, but should Celestron really be marketing something like this?  Likewise,

if you were to purchase an individual 2" filter from Celestron, would they be of the same quality as these?

Has anyone else had similar experiences with these 2" filters?

Milt

Edited by Uncle Milt, 20 September 2019 - 08:38 PM.

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

I have a 2” Celestron OIII which works just fine. Obviously it was more expensive.

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces, Celestron, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics