•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Twists of the Tarantula (another Southern Gem NGC 2070) in HaO3+RGB

art astrophotography collimation reflector
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andy01

Andy01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

The Tarantula Nebula is more than a thousand light-years in diameter, a giant star forming region within nearby satellite galaxy the Large Magellanic Cloud. About 180 thousand light-years away, it's the largest, most violent star forming region known in the whole Local Group of galaxies. Within the Tarantula (NGC 2070), intense radiation, stellar winds and supernova shocks from the central young cluster of massive stars, cataloged as R136, energize the nebular glow and shape the spidery filaments. Were the Tarantula Nebula closer, say 1,500 light-years distant like the local star forming Orion Nebula, it would take up half the sky! (Apod)

Big One Here 

It's been a few months since my last image. I had my Tak NJP mount completely stripped down & powder coated in nice Apollo 11 colours.

Spend a couple of nights dialing back in my mount & collimating the 'scope after all the recent mods.

Some of the powder coated surfaces were causing a couple of internal locknuts to slip, so PA and guiding were temporarily affected, but I'm 99% on top of that now. smile.gif

Chose a target that I could image in a single night, and the biggest, brightest option here in Australia at this time of year was NGC 2070.

This presentation & colour palette was inspired by the workflow of Josep Drudis using just Ha & O3 and adding back the RGB stars. 

(I've always been a big fan of Josep's work).

12x 10min Ha

15x 10min O3

8x 2min R,G & B (stars)

Processed with Astro Pixel Processor, PS CC2019 & Topaz

Considering it was taken from my light polluted suburban backyard in Melbourne over a single night, I'm pretty happy with the result!

C&C welcome. grin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• HaO3RGB_iis_final.jpg
  • image2.jpeg
  • image4.jpeg

Edited by Andy01, 20 September 2019 - 11:02 PM.

• Gregory, buckeyestargazer, psandelle and 5 others like this

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

A beautiful picture and wonderful  astronomy equipment.  Please keep the pictures coming!

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Red Centre, NT, Australia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:10 PM

Bloody ripper rendition, mate! The Tarantula is one of my favorite objects in the sky over the Red Centre. I can actually see it with the unaided eye, and its spidery arms are quite evident through my 10×50 binoculars. I only recently assessed its size relative to M42 (a favorite comparison reference for the Carina Nebula)—if the Tarantula were as close as M42, it would span 80˚ across the sky!

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, astrophotography, collimation, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics