•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Permanent Pier for Evolution 8?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:55 AM

It's not a high priority but I wouldn't mind setting up a permanent pier for my Evolution 8. I can't seem to find a top plate for a pier that would match the Evolution 8. One option could be to do something with the tripod top plate but it doesn't look to be a simple matter.

The benefit of a pier isn't that great for Alt/Az operation, just not having to drag tripod out each time, but it would be worthwhile if I decided to use the wedge again.

Any suggestions, or better still examples?

• Jay6821 likes this

#2 beggarly

beggarly

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:38 AM

8" Pier Top Plate Combo for CPC / Nexstar Telescopes http://www.pierplate...ducts_8510.html

#3 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:52 AM

8" Pier Top Plate Combo for CPC / Nexstar Telescopes http://www.pierplate...ducts_8510.html

Thanks, I have seen these but noticed that there are no radial slots, as per the tripod mount.

Is the idea to level the double plate assembly for the bottom plate using the 2 sets of 3 5/8" nuts, then fit the top, adaptor plate (with the centre pin) using the 3 x 3/8"x1 3/4" bolts (and tube aluminium tube spacers) threaded into bottom of the Evolution mount?

Attached Thumbnails

• A57B58BA-5AA4-465E-8330-5424D94210B9.jpeg

Edited by Rac19, 21 September 2019 - 04:53 AM.

#4 Jay6821

Jay6821

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

Good luck.  I would be interested in seeing pictures if you do put your Evolution 8 on a Pier. You may inspire me to do the same.

#5 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

I made an adapter:

Check it out here:

https://www.cloudyni...-man-cave-ever/

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:15 PM

Ignore things like radial slots in the tripod head and the center pin. All the larger Celestron Alt Az mounts have the same 3 bolt pattern. You just bolt the mount to a pier plate with three 3/8 x 16 tpi bolts and you are done. 

Yes Dan's pier plates use a two plate design with radial slots on the lower plate which allows you to move the top plate and mount in azimuth to align the mount with the north/south celestial point for those who want/need that capability. Most Alt Az mounts don't care about that so you can just bolt the mount to a single plate if you like. It's also helpful to have some sort of leveling done to whatever you bolt the mount onto.

Edited by mclewis1, 21 September 2019 - 09:16 PM.

#7 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. I probably won't be rushing into this but will report back if I eventually get around to it.

As per that instructions below, it seems that one point of the triangle of bolts in the pier top plate ( the bottom plate of the pair) should be pointing approximately south in my case. I assume that this is to do with polar alignment when using a wedge.

I wonder a little unsure as to how this affects StarSense User Auto Align, when NOT using a wedge.

The instructions (when using CPWI) are to start with the index marks aligned and OTA level, pointing North then record alignment points for future use in Use Auto Align. A further instruction is to start future User Auto Alignments from the same position. I am not sure whether or not I would have record new alignments points from a South pointing starting position. Just wondering.

Attached Thumbnails

• 51F1FAD0-9374-47E5-B3BC-11ACFD21CB86.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics