•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Exciting (to me) New Impression of NGC6934

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chrysalis

chrysalis

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Central NC

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:53 AM

Last night was very steady and clear here in north central NC. Even though the dewpoint was 53, it was pretty murky (Milky Way was not blatantly obvious but easily discernible). Very dewy unfortunately by the end of the night.

But before that: I have observed NGC6934 in Delphinus countless times in the past, but for the first time ever, I noticed something interesting while observing it. The orientation in my eyepiece was just right, as I guess was the power (either 136X or 170X, I can't recall), and what appeared to me was a pattern strikingly similar to the Northern Cross , with NGC6934 serving in the role of Deneb. When I got in I Googled pictures of NGC6934, and whaddaya know! - they show just exactly what I perceived!!

Has anyone else noticed this? (Hope this is not old hat!)

Edited by chrysalis, 21 September 2019 - 04:00 AM.

#2 dhawn

dhawn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

Hmm, comparing a globular cluster with an asterism/constellation. I'm going to have to take another look at NGC6934, Are you referring to the cluster and the stars surrounding it?

#3 chrysalis

chrysalis

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Central NC

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

See this picture. If NGC6934 = Deneb, the star to its right (too close to be but serves) is Gamma Cygni. Albireo is farther to the right.  Delta Cygni is above the faux Gamma, Epsilon below.

https://www.google.c...69265104453050 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics