•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Selling your equipment to pay for medical bills?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

Have medical bills and prescription bills forced you to sell your beloved astro-gear?  Has anyone else here been faced with having to make this decision? How have you managed? Any regrets afterwards?

#2 sickfish

sickfish

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Watertown Ma. Cape Coral Fl.

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

Never had to do that, if I had to, I would.

Real life takes priority over hobbies.

#3 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

Have had to sell off some gear more than once when big medical (dental) bills popped up....unfortunately. 

#4 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

I've had to do it before too. I've been sick for almost a decade and on dialysis for over six years now. This time around it's a $6700 hit. I don't have much energy so I'm rarely able to observe now but I'm hoping that after my transplant I'm able to observe and image again. I have plenty of nice equipment but not able to really enjoy it right now.

#5 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:42 AM

My wife and I were both fortunate enough to have excellent healthcare plans at our places of employment, so I never had to sell equipment to pay for medical bills. Like Tony said though, if it had been necessary it would have been done without hesitation. 

Good luck with your procedure. It stinks to be in that position. 

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:20 AM

When I ruptured my quads... and they fixed it... I looked at the bills and saw how much I paid (a lot)... and how much the insurance paid (a lot!) and... I actually feel guilty when my insurance pays part or even most of the bill... must be some peculiar personality thing from childhood?! I have too much hobby gear... would divest, will divest... "when the time comes." I think it must have been my parents and church inculcating ~give more than you receive~ (?!) I still don't know whether that is idealism or buffoonery... but I try to live by it... and count my blessings. Another thing (I tell myself) I would never do... is that GoFundMe thing. Of course, I'm speaking from a position of current comfort --- the real test would/will be when finances life-style are stressed/threatened.   Tom

#7 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

Sorry to hear about the issue,blush.gif

hang in there,,,,,,frown.gif

Edited by Mike W., 21 September 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#8 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

...I think it must have been my parents and church inculcating ~give more than you receive~ (?!) I still don't know whether that is idealism or buffoonery... but I try to live by it... and count my blessings...

I just read this "letter" (attached link) last night, and your response this morning made me feel that I should share it here. 

https://loetonip.blo...X0Ag3-UqfEdyMEQ

(And rolo, if you took the time to read this letter--it's you who we admire, and value, not your stuff.)

Edited by Vic Menard, 21 September 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#9 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

In the modern world this shouldn’t be necessary. Could you setup a plan with the hospital?

The only light at the end of the tunnel I think this is going to be a temporary problem. It’s tragic for the people who have to deal with it until it changes.

There are folks outside the US going “sell stuff because you got sick? “

#10 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

I've had to do it before too. I've been sick for almost a decade and on dialysis for over six years now. This time around it's a $6700 hit. I don't have much energy so I'm rarely able to observe now but I'm hoping that after my transplant I'm able to observe and image again. I have plenty of nice equipment but not able to really enjoy it right now.

I hope all goes well and best wishes on a speedy and full recovery.

#11 Lindhard

Lindhard

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: N 55° 30' -- E 8° 26'

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Qnrjve2AEhY

see this video

#12 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:35 PM

In the modern world this shouldn’t be necessary. Could you setup a plan with the hospital?

The only light at the end of the tunnel I think this is going to be a temporary problem. It’s tragic for the people who have to deal with it until it changes.

There are folks outside the US going “sell stuff because you got sick? “

True, but there are also folks outside the US dying on waiting lists to be treated. There's no perfect system so let's  not turn this political cause in that case everybody loses.

#13 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

I've seen that before and it's quite impressive. 

#14 Fernando134

Fernando134

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

Have medical bills and prescription bills forced you to sell your beloved astro-gear?  Has anyone else here been faced with having to make this decision? How have you managed? Any regrets afterwards?

My best for you and your family. Hope you get better soon.  And ready to spend a lot of time under the skies!!!

Regards, Fernando

#15 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:38 PM

My best for you and your family. Hope you get better soon.  And ready to spend a lot of time under the skies!!!

Regards, Fernando

I can't wait to start my planetary imaging again. The planets will be in favorable position here in a couple of years so I hope To have my kidney transplant by then.

#16 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

Big recession 2008...company closed, job lost, nobody hiring. 401k and savings took a huge hit, the rest got used for the house payments and the bills, then I began selling stuff. AP900 mount, all my scopes and cameras...lost the house anyway (and the ROR observatory in its yard).

Took us 10 years to recover. I just got back into things last year.

My best wishes for the OP and his health/family. You are always welcome to come share my stuff if yours has to go.

#17 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:25 PM

Big recession 2008...company closed, job lost, nobody hiring. 401k and savings took a huge hit, the rest got used for the house payments and the bills, then I began selling stuff. AP900 mount, all my scopes and cameras...lost the house anyway (and the ROR observatory in its yard).

My best wishes for the OP and his health/family. You are always welcome to come share my stuff if yours has to go.

Hope all is stable and life is stress free. 

Cheers

Phil

#18 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

Those were tough times and many of us took a big hit financially. You however have perseverewaytogo.gif

I have been through many difficult times beginning with being born in Cuba in the mid sixties and having a few serious injuries I'm my lifetime. Probably the worst was a car accident  when I was 19. Sixty three days in the hospital, in a coma for 11 days, six pelvic fractures, lacerated bladder and serious blunt trauma. Not to mention a motorcycle accident, getting runned over when I was 12,  getting 72 stitches on my head when I was ten, and a few others...and now, sick for decade and over six years on dialysis. Every day is about suffering, pain, exhaustion, soreness like wearing a suit of discomfort 24/7. It's been so long since I felt good that I don't remember what it's like. I refuse to take pain medication cause I don't want to get addicted and it may do more harm in the long run.

Since being on dialysis I've totaled my 2011 Subaru Impreza and spent a day in the hospital, had to get a kidney removed, and spent four days,went into fluid overload and spent another week in the hospital, got pneumonia and spent another week, got gout which was extremely painful, got neuropathy from dialysis. Not the best experiences a person could have that for sure. In any case I'm still here and I will never quit fighting as lung as I have air in my lungs. If you're going through hell, just keep going. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel and I'll get there.

Forgive me for going way off topic. 

Edited by rolo, 21 September 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#19 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

Those were tough times and many of us took a big hit financially. You however have perseverewaytogo.gif

I have been through many difficult times beginning with being born in Cuba in the mid sixties and having a few serious injuries I'm my lifetime. Probably the worst was a car accident  when I was 19. Sixty three days in the hospital, in a coma for 11 days, six pelvic fractures, lacerated bladder and serious blunt trauma. Not to mention a motorcycle accident, getting runned over when I was 12,  getting 72 stitches on my head when I was ten, and a few others...and now, sick for decade and over six years on dialysis. Every day is about suffering, pain, exhaustion, soreness like wearing a suit of discomfort 24/7. It's been so long since I felt good that I don't remember what it's like. I refuse to take pain medication cause I don't want to get addicted and it may do more harm in the long run.

Since being on dialysis I've totaled my 2011 Subaru Impreza and spent a day in the hospital, had to get a kidney removed, and spent four days,went into fluid overload and spent another week in the hospital, got pneumonia and spent another week, got gout which was extremely painful, got neuropathy from dialysis. Not the best experiences a person could have that for sure. In any case I'm still here and I will never quit fighting as lung as I have air in my lungs. If you're going through hell, just keep going. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel and I'll get there.

Forgive me for going way off topic. 

Keeping fighting and enjoy the good days as they arrive.

#20 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Rolo, you hang in there. And keep looking at the stars. You have my utmost respect and admiration.

#21 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

Medical bills are now the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US. 

I feel bad for you, and I can't give you any insight as to what you should do, but I can tell you that I have great sympathy for you and it makes me angry every time I hear of something like this. 

I hope it works out somehow and that your health improves.  Meantime, you have to do what you have to do.  

#22 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:36 AM

Selling my equipment would make a totally insignificant amount of cash as related to medical bills, so it wouldn’t be done.  It would be like having a yard sale to finance the purchase of a house.   I suspect most folks on here are in much the same situation.

#23 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Viking 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

I truly feel terrible for the OP. It’s a saddening situation he is in and I wish him the very best and pray he finds a solution for his health. This is why I would never post personal information about my life on the internet, even to a community as mature and understanding as CN. There is always one totally uncaring and indifferent individual who throws politics or wealth status into the mix. Sometimes a little compassion can go a long way...

#24 StarWolf57

StarWolf57

Viking 1

• Loc: Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your trouble. At the end of the day though, your health has to come first. Selling off equipment will no doubt be difficult, but once your ordeal is behind you, you may get to buy back those items you found to bring the most enjoyment. I understand about having low energy and the frustration that comes with it. Persistent shoulder problems and a recent cancer diagnosis have made made things difficult. I haven't had the C14 out for over a year now. The surgery for the cancer went well, but I'm still on (preventative) chemo which has really zapped my energy level. I'm fortunate in that I have very good (albeit expensive) insurance, so my out of pocket costs are minimal. Feeling sick and having to deal with mounting medical costs has to be a big emotional strain. My sincere wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

#25 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

Please refrain from political posts (it's CN rules, *NOT* optional!) and please REFRAIN FROM REPLYING to political posts. Instead, issue a moderator alert. By replying, you just encourage further replies and complicate the moderators' job, possibly leading to thread being locked.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics