•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQMOD...what happens if I accidentally disconnect?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JeffreyHorne

JeffreyHorne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hello friends, and thanks in advance!

I got my brand new EQ6R-Pro yesterday, and I’m so close to being able to test it out...just need some good weather. 😉

I’m setting up without the Synscan controller, plugging directly into the USB B port on the mount, and using the time and location from the computer.

I've read that with EQMOD, this setup is considered similar to PC Direct mode, where there is a master/slave relationship between the computer and the mount. I’ve read that there can be issues if you are using the USB port on the mount, and still have the hand controller plugged in. (might get conflicting “master” signals, or something like that.)

My question: when setting up using the USB port on the mount and no Synscan controller, what happens if the long usb cable from my USB hub to my computer accidentally gets unplugged? Can I plug back in and reconnect and keep going (like I did with my CG-5 when the laptop was plugged into the hand controller), or do I need to start over from some point (starting over at go-to alignment, for example)? 

I only ask because that one USB cable coming from the laptop always bothers me. Moving the laptop around in the field, I’m always afraid it will accidentally come unplugged. 

Thanks again, friends!

Jeff

#2 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

Not 100% sure but I believe you will lose settings. Perhaps put a little piece of adhesive backed Velcro on bottom of laptop by usb port and wrap a Velcro cable bundling strap around cord hooked to it. And scope side leave some slack hanging and Velcro wrap it to a leg.

• JeffreyHorne likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics