•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece end-caps: the case for solid ones

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:08 AM

I was testing several 2” eyepieces in an 8” f/5 reflector (no optical correction).

These included a Meade series 5000 24mm UWA vs a Televue 26mm Nagler.

Both eyepieces are stored in eyepiece plastic bolt cases with both after market “yellow” upper and lower end-caps. I always put the original end-caps in the original boxes (if I have them) for safe keeping. If I decide to move the eyepiece to a new home, I have the original caps/box.

The eyepieces are stored vertically.

The view in the Televue 26mm was excellent - nice pinpoint images.

I inserted the Meade 24mm UWA and the views just looked strange. Some areas were excellent and other areas looked faded/mushy. I rotated the eyepiece and different areas were in focus and others mushy.

It could’ve been eye fatigue but the great view in the Nagler ruled that out.

Maybe some dew condensation on the upper eyelens - a quick check with a red flash light ruled that out. 

I took the eyepiece out of the focuser to inspect the other end. There was a large 1/2” “smudge” mark in the centre. The lower lens is very close to edge of the eyepiece barrel. The “soft” lower end-cap was pushed upward touching the lower lens. A quick thorough cleaning with ROR brought the view back to normal. A very nice view but the TV 26mm Nagler was definitely more impressive.

The TV Nagler lower lens is more recessed and the soft yellow endcap could never touch the lower lens.

I make the case that Televue has the better “solid” eyepiece end-caps. They fit nicely with the rubber eye cap in the upper or recessed position. I do like the yellow colour of the softer after market versions (easily found in the dark as compared to the black original versions). Maybe Televue and others should offer “optional” solid yellow colour eyepiece end-caps.

Just throwing that idea out there.

Any opinions ?

• Tyson M likes this

#2 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Jupiter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

I agree. The Televue end caps are better than the soft yellow ones.

I had to laugh when I read you store the original end caps “for safe-keeping” and use the aftermarket ones instead. Reminds me of my youth when my mother covered all furniture and lamp shades with fitted plastic covers. My mom is long gone... but I’ll bet her furniture is still in great shape (where ever they may be). lol.gif

Life is short. Use the original end caps. If you lose one or two, you can purchase new ones from Televue. 

• Jon Isaacs, Scott in NC, payner and 2 others like this

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

Ha, Ha, and here I thought my Mom and my all my Aunts and Uncles were the only one to cover the sofas with plastic!!

I never asked why but man, sitting on our sofa during the summer months was er, damp..

I agree. The Televue end caps are better than the soft yellow ones.

I had to laugh when I read you store the original end caps “for safe-keeping” and use the aftermarket ones instead. Reminds me of my youth when my mother covered all furniture and lamp shades with fitted plastic covers. My mom is long gone... but I’ll bet her furniture is still in great shape (where ever they may be). lol.gif

Life is short. Use the original end caps. If you lose one or two, you can purchase new ones from Televue. 

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

I've had the same experience with the soft caps however in the winter I find I prefer the 1.25" soft caps as the hard caps can be a nuisance to get off the barrel.

#5 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

I had a Pentax XL14 whose original top cap put a smudge right in the middle of the lens.  Such exquisite optical engineering undone by cheaping-out on a cap.  Amazing.

• CrazyPanda likes this

#6 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

Funny you should bring this up because I just experienced the same thing, but with my 21 Ethos.

A while back I swapped the field lens cap on the 21 Ethos for my Explore Scientific one because the ES one is a better overall fit - easier to get off in the winter etc, and since I use my 21E more often, I figured that would be a small improvement.

Well, the ES one is a lot more flexible, and the field lens of the 21E is only recessed about 2mm inside the barrel. Turns out it's quite easy to accidentally hit the field lens of the 21E through that more flexible endcap. There was a smudge in the middle of the 21E field lens that I had to clean off as a result.

I've recently switched back to the dual-sided TV cap as that provides enough rigidity to avoid compressing the center too easily by accident.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 21 September 2019 - 02:44 PM.

• vkhastro1 likes this

#7 JMKarian

JMKarian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:03 PM

Uncle Al Nagler’s eyepiece caps - tried & true & practical

Edited by JMKarian, 21 September 2019 - 12:05 PM.

• vkhastro1 likes this

#8 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:44 PM

I do like the yellow colour of the softer after market versions (easily found in the dark as compared to the black original versions). Maybe Televue and others should offer “optional” solid yellow colour eyepiece end-caps.

Any opinions ?

I stick pink or orange self-adhesive round "price dot" labels on both sides of all of my eyepiece caps.  It makes the caps much easier to find when I drop them in the dark.  The labels are made by Avery (and others), and are in the office supply section of WallyWorld.

Edited by howardcano, 21 September 2019 - 05:49 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#9 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:05 PM

I found a nice replacement solid cap for my Ethos, the TV cap upper edge was cutting into the top of my eyepiece case, I think you can see the replacement caps in this photo of my case,,,,,

Even found one to fit my Pan 35 in the lower left, but couldn't find a matching cap for the Nagler 7 tongue2.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_Img_190317105312981-2.jpg

#10 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

I was testing several 2” eyepieces in an 8” f/5 reflector (no optical correction).

These included a Meade series 5000 24mm UWA vs a Televue 26mm Nagler.

Both eyepieces are stored in eyepiece plastic bolt cases with both after market “yellow” upper and lower end-caps. I always put the original end-caps in the original boxes (if I have them) for safe keeping. If I decide to move the eyepiece to a new home, I have the original caps/box.

The eyepieces are stored vertically.

The view in the Televue 26mm was excellent - nice pinpoint images.

I inserted the Meade 24mm UWA and the views just looked strange. Some areas were excellent and other areas looked faded/mushy. I rotated the eyepiece and different areas were in focus and others mushy.

It could’ve been eye fatigue but the great view in the Nagler ruled that out.

Maybe some dew condensation on the upper eyelens - a quick check with a red flash light ruled that out. 

I took the eyepiece out of the focuser to inspect the other end. There was a large 1/2” “smudge” mark in the centre. The lower lens is very close to edge of the eyepiece barrel. The “soft” lower end-cap was pushed upward touching the lower lens. A quick thorough cleaning with ROR brought the view back to normal. A very nice view but the TV 26mm Nagler was definitely more impressive.

The TV Nagler lower lens is more recessed and the soft yellow endcap could never touch the lower lens.

I make the case that Televue has the better “solid” eyepiece end-caps. They fit nicely with the rubber eye cap in the upper or recessed position. I do like the yellow colour of the softer after market versions (easily found in the dark as compared to the black original versions). Maybe Televue and others should offer “optional” solid yellow colour eyepiece end-caps.

Any opinions ?

I went through this same situation.  My Brandon's came with soft black top caps which I thought I liked.  In the bolt cases, the 24mm and 16mm eyepieces were fine, because the tops didnt push down on the caps.  But the 32mm is longer, and the bolt case was twisting down on top of it, leaving smudges on the glass.

I had to do some experimenting, but I found that 35mm hard black caps from agena work and replaced all the soft top caps.  I still have them on the bottom, but I will be replacing them for 1.25" clear caps as they cannot stand on my table flat with the soft caps until I take them off.   My suggestion is to carefully measure whatever eyepiece you have outer diameter that the entire cap has to fit over, buy the two closest sizes to make sure you get some that fit right. 

#11 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

Ya know, if you're storing your eyepieces in individual bolt cases there's really no need for lens caps at all.

Any dust particles that might get on either lens you won't ever know they're there unless it's light out,,,,,,

• izar187 and Mark SW like this

#12 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Smudging is a real thing. It came up on this site two or three years ago and I discovered one of my

eyepieces, ES100 20mm I believe, had the smudge. ES realized the problem and replaced their bottom

caps with stiffer ones. Now I always check my eyepieces with exposed field lenses to make sure the

bottom caps are stiff. 

I leave a nebula filter permanently attached to my 32mm Masuyama eyepiece. That meant replacing that 

bottom cap as well to protect the filter.

#13 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:15 PM

I had the foam disk in the bottom of a bolt case leave a smudge on my 20 ES100 whose  field lens is close bottom of the eyepiece.  I keep my eyepieces in bolt cases too but only with top caps.  The eyepieces are stored upright so the field lens isn't exposed unless the eyepiece is on it's side in a tray.  For me the extra step of taking the bottom cap off makes it more likely I'll fumble a eyepiece swap.  I had a close call recently putting my LVW 8 in the SM 90 III. The Unistar's az axis wasn't tightened enough, the scope tale dived and the LVW 8 barely missed my patio landing on it's top in the dirt. Happy the only damage was to the lens cap and I had one of the yellow ones as a spare. David.

Edited by dscarpa, 22 September 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#14 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

Any opinions ?

Don't use end caps

#15 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:49 PM

Its replacing eye lens end caps that annoys me. And caps I have to roll up the eyecup to fit back on. Need to keep both ends covered.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics