•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar two star align.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Hi, I hope everyone is enjoying these last few clear nights in the U.K. Anyway, after polar aligning my AVX mount I then try the two star alignment but every star on the HC are in the West which is totally blocked out by my house, for the life of me I cannot get a star on the HC that is in the East. I have checked the settings in the HC and everything seems to be OK. Can anyone shed some light please. There is no Polarscope on my mount, did not come with one, and as I am disabled I cannot get down to look through where the Polarscope would be, hence the two star alignment route. Anyone help please with how I can get some stars in the East through to South.

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

What often happens and I assume is in your case is that the usual 2 star align is when the software basically says "Use these 2 stars".

I would half expect there to be 2 different 2 star alignments.

One is the one above when the system says use these, the other is when the system says "Which 2 do you want to use?"

That sounds like it is the one that you want - sorry no idea of the name on the AVX.

The other possible solution is that the system does the first and offers a star, you should be able to ignore it and use the scroll up/down keys to select your own.

Basically it changes from "Use these" to "Pick your own".

How did you polar align?

Says you did, then you say you cannot really manage it.

Curious, as I am wondering if there is an option to use the polar scope hole.

As the AVX is Celestron do not expect overly obvious stars to be made available to you. Recent discussions on this.

OK, error on my side - it seems there is only one "2 star align" and I assume this does not offer up much choice.

Still it reads that by using the Up/Down keys you can scroll through the full list and so select manually from it. Back simply makes the software select the next one and again that may not be in the right area of the sky.

Page 12 of the Manual

Two-Star Align allows the user to select two stars on which to align the telescope.

To align your telescope using the Two-Star Align method:

1    Select Two-Star Align from the alignment choices given Based on the date and time information entered, the hand control will automatically select and display a bright star that is above the horizon.

Press ENTER to select this star as your first alignment star.

If for some reason the chosen star is not visible (perhaps behind a tree or building), press BACK to have the hand control automatically select the next brightest star.

Or you can use the Up/Down keys to browse the entire Named Star list and select any one of over two hundred alignment stars

So Back just makes another Automatic selection while Up/Down allows you to select from the whole list.

Edited by sg6, 21 September 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#3 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply. I used my red dot finder and put it on the ncp then I put that star in the middle of my eyepiece which has a reticle. I tried the scroll buttons to see if a star came up that was in the East but it would not. There must be a way that I can select which star I want and in the location of the sky where I am not blocked out.

#4 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the controller. Mine has always gave stars in all directions of the sky. Is it possible that at some point you hit something to set filter limits to exclude the east and didn't notice which will limit what it will show available.
  • t_image likes this

#5 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

I have the CG5 GT which is similar. It will only display stars on one side of the meridian. It defaults to the side of the meridian with the most stars. To switch to the opposite side of the meridian press the MENU button before selecting your first alignment star. Hopefully that will work on the newer AVX mount. You're probably going to find you have to add a few calibration stars after the 2 star alignment to get accurate goto's. That will correct for the cone error inherent in the mount.

• t_image likes this

#6 iflyrctoday

iflyrctoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Tennessee

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

Angel

When you do the 2 star alignment and the hand controller only offers you western stars, press the menu button.  The hand controller will offer eastern stars.  Toggle back and forth.  I hope this solves your problem.

Clear skies

Karl

#7 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:45 PM

I would have thought that the RDF points the scope at Polaris and not necessarily the mount.

There is polar alignment and goto alignment, and the 2 get mixed up at times.

The easy way is to remember that you can polar align without a scope being on the mount, so if relying on the scope I suspect something may be going wrong.

Rough polar alignmet is level the mount well. Set the latitude scale to yours. Aim as well as possible at Polaris. NO SCOPE, just mount.

I assume that you then set scope up to aim at Polaris with the weights down - well at some angle called "down".

Supply location and date/time data.

Then you select 2 Star Align, then use the Up/Down keys.

That is all that comes to mind.

I presume that you have entered your own data for a location and whatever else?

You do not mention GPS so I presume none, no problems there in my mind.

Where are you?

Add to your profile as then if required people can offer data to enter.

Also if in the UK and somewhere like Birmingham make sure it is UK not Alabama, seen that done, really caused trouble.

#8 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:06 PM

I would have thought that the RDF points the scope at Polaris and not necessarily the mount.

There is polar alignment and goto alignment, and the 2 get mixed up at times.

The easy way is to remember that you can polar align without a scope being on the mount, so if relying on the scope I suspect something may be going wrong.

Rough polar alignmet is level the mount well. Set the latitude scale to yours. Aim as well as possible at Polaris. NO SCOPE, just mount.

I assume that you then set scope up to aim at Polaris with the weights down - well at some angle called "down".

Supply location and date/time data.

Then you select 2 Star Align, then use the Up/Down keys.

That is all that comes to mind.

I presume that you have entered your own data for a location and whatever else?

You do not mention GPS so I presume none, no problems there in my mind.

Where are you?

Add to your profile as then if required people can offer data to enter.

Also if in the UK and somewhere like Birmingham make sure it is UK not Alabama, seen that done, really caused trouble.

Sorry I see you are trying to be helpful sg6 but it is painful to see you are struggle to describe and answer a question without having close to the type of equipment that is being asked about.

It might be more charitable to point the OP to the Nexstar section of CN

https://www.cloudyni...estron-nexstar/

where veteran users of such gear are familiar rather than to continue to confuse the issue.

Contrary to your point, the AVX via Nexstar alignment offers a way to physically polar aligned through a process where the prompted stars are pointed to via a red dot finder with the scope on the mount.

The difference is it ask to one physically change the adjustment screws to point to the given star (physical polar alignment) v. using the hand controller arrows(goto pointing model)....

You could download and read the manual to understand rather than go on with incorrect advice....

Cheers!

#9 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

Angel

When you do the 2 star alignment and the hand controller only offers you western stars, press the menu button.  The hand controller will offer eastern stars.  Toggle back and forth.  I hope this solves your problem.

Clear skies

Karl

I believe this is the solution to the OP's dilemma.  The handcontrol offers stars only on one side of the meridian for alignment - and the default is to offer stars in the west.  If instead you want to align on eastern stars - just toggle the menu button as described.

It's not obvious but it is in the manual - and there is a reason for it.  You wouldn't want to use stars on opposite sides of the meridian as the two stars.

Frank

#10 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:58 AM

Hey people thanks for the many replies, I will todaytry and toggle the menu button to see if I can get stars in the East. I will try it in home as it is raining cats and dogs. I shall let you know how I get on and what I tried.

#11 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:12 AM

Hello all, right I have managed to get stars in the East whilst doing a two star align on my AVX mount. 

What I did was, switch everything on and when I got the message” two Star star align, press enter” after pressing enter I then pressed the menu button and immediately on the right hand side of the screen there was the ‘E’ sign. I tried it three times and it worked each time. 

I will try it looking at some stars but at the moment, here in Leicester UK, although stopped raining it is still very overcast.

Thanks for your commen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics