•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Light Pollution makes the Boston Globe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:13 PM

Looks like articles on light pollution are starting to appear more and more on the main stream media, add this story to the list

https://www.bostongl...rC1L/story.html

Assume this article was picked up by other papers.  Not a bad article, even if though astrology is invoked, with links to darksky.org and Harvard medical school papers about the problems with exposure to excessive lighting and more.

• okiestarman56 and alstarjoey like this

#2 sc285

sc285

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

Yeah, I'd like to read the article, but what irks me are links to newspaper articles which REQUIRE you either subscribe or create an account to read their rags.

You may have an account and don't see this window which essentially blocks doing anything to see the article.

Others have done this same thing. Not knocking you, and probably there are copyright notices regarding copy and pasting the article here.

So another one I have to pass on. I am not signing up or subscribing to read 1 article.

Rob

#3 organge

organge

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, I'd like to read the article, but what irks me are links to newspaper articles which REQUIRE you either subscribe or create an account to read their rags.

You may have an account and don't see this window which essentially blocks doing anything to see the article.

Others have done this same thing. Not knocking you, and probably there are copyright notices regarding copy and pasting the article here.

So another one I have to pass on. I am not signing up or subscribing to read 1 article.

Rob

Works fine here and I am not subscribed. The pop up window did open for me to sign up or something but I quickly went to top left corner and clicked on barely visible "close". This might be it? This is a dark pattern to make you either signup or login (via FB, etc).

• PirateMike likes this

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:37 PM

Excellent article. Thanks for pointing it out.

Now if we could convince the world of their error.

Miguel   8-)

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:40 PM

Rob

Just press escape button (esc) on your keyboard and you will be able to read the article.

Miguel   8-)

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:49 PM

Just press escape button (esc) on your keyboard and you will be able to read the article.

Miguel   8-)

Wow, Miguel!  I never knew this, and it works!  Thanks!

Nice article, now that I could read it!

• PirateMike likes this

#7 Toups

Toups

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:54 PM

Off topic, like many newspapers, the articles are "pay walled" but I believe you can read a couple of articles over some period, (maybe a week or so) before you are locked out.  Although I have found some newspaper sites that are completely "pay walled;" I don't believe the Boston Globe is one (yet.)  I see several people were able to read the article so that must be true for now.

On topic, at least some one is succeeding in getting the word out.  This is a hopeful sign.

#8 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Messenger

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

Good Article, - Plus learned from other post's how to deal with those blocks. Hope it works on 'Google News' where they pop up frequently.

#9 kellyvictoria

kellyvictoria

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida, 29 degrees N

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

Yes, I think it is tied into the recent wave of concern expressed by our children and grandchildren regarding our god given earth and our stewardship of it's natural resources that we are entrusted to pass on to future generations.    

The news media is finally picking up on earth's light pollution cast onto our heavens. It is about time.

jeez, that was a mouthful....

Edited by kellyvictoria, 22 September 2019 - 03:39 PM.

• George N, Toups and PirateMike like this

#10 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' each night of the stars
That won't get you a good look at Mars

Cause wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' the lights will be few 

That won't get you a Milky Way view

So if you're looking to find stars, that you can share

All you gotta do is  write 'em and tell 'em and fund 'em

And show 'em that you care

With apology to  Wishing and Hoping by the late Dusty Springfield.

Edited by barbarosa, 22 September 2019 - 03:21 PM.

• George N and Thomas Marshall like this

#11 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

Excellent article.  (Despite the "astrology" mixup.)  There seem to be more of these being published, and hopefully they'll begin to have an effect on educating the general public.  The responses to the article are well worth reading too...  A few of them demonstrate well the ignorant mindset we're up against.

Marty

• George N and PirateMike like this

#12 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

Excellent article.  (Despite the "astrology" mixup.)  There seem to be more of these being published, and hopefully they'll begin to have an effect on educating the general public.  The responses to the article are well worth reading too...  A few of them demonstrate well the ignorant mindset we're up against.

Marty

>and hopefully they'll begin to have an effect on educating the general public...….

That's one of the keys -- and it needs to be aimed as much at those who still have dark skies as it does at city dwellers!

I've been surprised that many (or at least some) of my rural New York friends -- those lucky enough to be able to walk outside and easily see the Milky Way - really don't know about Light Pollution, or what they have to lose. In fact, they don't really care. As one Boy Scout leader from the central Catskill Mountains area said - after I reminded him that the Milky Way is easy to see from his location -- "Ya but.... Who looks up into the sky?"

My friend and the landlord of my rented Adirondack camp (SQM = 21.8) said, when I pointed out the Milky Way - "I only come down here to the lake shore on full moon nights!" He is near 70, and has lived summertimes in this profoundly dark location his entire life -- and yet he is afraid of the dark! (I'm going to give him a little Dob to see if that gets him out in the dark!)

Otherwise - I think some city and suburban people understand the problem. Pennsylvania's dark sky park, Cherry Springs, is now full to capacity every moonless weekend - and even during the week in July and August. They have had as many as 2,200 people show up for their Saturday evening Public programs!

Edited by George N, 23 September 2019 - 09:37 AM.

• bumm likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics