•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 102mm Starblast vs. SkyWatcher 102mm

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 OneGear

OneGear

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:59 AM

Really my only point was, many of us are older adults, surely in most cases we can still carry comfortably what most consider G&G ie less than say 10 lb especially if it is a few feet, less than 50’, out the door of our house / garage. But you continuously hear that one G&G package is 1-2lb or what have you liter than another. I mean surely we still have enough strength to ....... ? Those relatively lite weights that we are talking can’t be that much of a factor, unless you have some sort of injury ?

I've waited to reply while I gathered my thoughts.

I use an ES AR102.  It's a fantastic scope mechanically and optically.  I use it on a CG4 and a hearty altaz.  I also use a Meade 80/900 with a plastic 1.25" focuser on the same mounts.  The CG4 is never grab&go and the altaz is only g&g with the 80mm.  The difference in weight between the AR102 and the Meade 80/900 is dramatic.  If I didn't have the AR102 I'd still die happy with the 80/900 but the AR102 does pull it's weight.  

I can carry all my mounts with scopes mounted but I haul pallets 12 hours a day for a living. I'm not typical.  Weight isn't the issue, awkwardness and balance while only having two hands is.  The AR102 is a hefty well built mass atop a solid mount while the 80/900 is an inconsequential load atop the altaz.  It's not a matter of me being weak, it's a matter of mass and bulk on a lever while navigating doorways and stairs.  Pounds add up and where the pounds are also matters.

Everybody's mileage varies, which is why we have these discussions.

Edited by OneGear, 17 October 2019 - 02:35 AM.

• BFaucett likes this

#27 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:14 AM

I use an ES AR102.  It's a fantastic scope mechanically and optically.  I use it on a CG4 and a hearty altaz.  I also use a Meade 80/900 with a plastic 1.25" focuser on the same mounts.  The CG4 is never grab&go and the altaz is only g&g with the 80mm.  The difference in weight between the AR102 and the Meade 80/900 is dramatic.  If I didn't have the AR102 I'd still die happy with the 80/900 but the AR102 does pull it's weight.  

I can carry all my mounts with scopes mounted but I haul pallets 12 hours a day for a living. I'm not typical.  Weight isn't the issue, awkwardness and balance while only having two hands is.  The AR102 is a hefty well built mass atop a solid mount while the 80/900 is an inconsequential load atop the altaz.  It's not a matter of me being weak, it's a matter of mass and bulk on a lever while navigating doorways and stairs.  Pounds add up and where the pounds are also matters.

If that is what you do all day, you have to be kidding about all the rest ! The twisting and turning while carrying the lite loads that are, as you say, awkward (?) shapes should be negligible but there are various forms of weakness. Just don’t try carrying everything at once maybe. Take the eps in a separate load maybe ? How are you at carrying bags of groceries from your vehicle into the house ? You are correct discussions can be interesting sometimes, thats what makes the world turn round as my old grandmother used to say ! I mean maybe the one unit extends well beyond what is considered G&G in both size and shape so you have to bull it a little more to handle it through the maze ?

Edited by LDW47, 17 October 2019 - 08:40 AM.

#28 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

What kind of weights are you talking for all of this, as a comparison, to make us visualize your thoughts / experiences vs ours ?

#29 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

I’ll carry my 120ED mounted on a CG4 with a 16” extension and 15lbs of CW around the yard, as well as the AZ4 with 16” extension around the yard with the 120ED mounted. Once you get a hang of where you need to grab it from and how, it’s very simple if you have the strength. I just won’t carry it out of the house set up like that though. 

#30 OneGear

OneGear

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:09 PM

... I just won’t carry it out of the house set up like that though. 

That is what I'm talking about.

#31 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

That is what I'm talking about.

Yeah, with my short ceiling basement and the 16” extension I wouldn’t even be able to get it up the stairs mounted before running out of room. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics