•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difficult Dumbbell in HOO

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:23 AM

The title says it all... I captured this data over a year ago and have failed to process it twice before.  This time I achieved an acceptable (to me) but not great result.  This target is SO much easier in OSC than in Narrowband.  I took 5 minute subs as usual, and the core is SO much brighter than the more extended parts.  I only got 1 hour of subs in each channel, but this target is VERY bright so only the extended parts seemed to suffer in the noise department.  At my wits end with this one, so I'm going to put it out there and leave it alone until I learn some better technique.

Higher Res (but still cropped) image here: https://flic.kr/p/2hiYXjz

Scope: Orion Eon 120mm @765mm FL

Camera: ASI1600MM-Cool V3 w/astrodon 3nm Ha/Oiii

Integration: 12 x 300 sec each for Ha/Oiii

48773893633_62ed3e354e_b.jpg

Edited by mistateo, 22 September 2019 - 05:26 AM.

• Tom K, nicknacknock, BenKolt and 5 others like this

#2 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

I am on a computer at work so the screen is pretty terrible, but that looks pretty good to me. One trick I had to do with mine was process it as two different images and then blend them together in PS. You should post your masters and see what others are able to do. I do that a lot to see what others are able to get out of my data. 
https://astrob.in/356451/C/

#3 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:21 PM

I am on a computer at work so the screen is pretty terrible, but that looks pretty good to me. One trick I had to do with mine was process it as two different images and then blend them together in PS. You should post your masters and see what others are able to do. I do that a lot to see what others are able to get out of my data. 
https://astrob.in/356451/C/

Yours is about 100 times better than mine.  Guessing it has to do with both the processing and the 25 hours of integration.

#4 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

Not sure if better or worse.  Feel like I did better on the Nebula, but trashed the stars.  Looks like it is time to up my masking game.

48773893633_db74ee4820_b.jpg

#5 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

Yeah. 25 hours helps! I misread your post and thought you had a bunch of data. So for the amount of data yours has, I think you have done pretty good. 

#6 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

Thank you.  I just downloaded the Pixinsight "Starnet" module (also available as a stand alone executable) to try my hand at replacing the narrowband stars with RGB stars.  Not sure if this is the right approach, but sounds promising.

• FiremanDan likes this

#7 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

Thank you.  I just downloaded the Pixinsight "Starnet" module (also available as a stand alone executable) to try my hand at replacing the narrowband stars with RGB stars.  Not sure if this is the right approach, but sounds promising.

I have a few NB images I want to shoot RGB stars for to replace them with. My M27 is one of those. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics