•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beginners M27

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

My first image of M27.

Conditions were not brilliant but at least I got something!

8" LX200 GPS, wedge, F6.3 FR/FF Canon EOS 1100D (un modded),
30 x 60s, 15 each darks 7 Flats
Stacked DSS, processed in Photoshop

rgds

david

Attached Thumbnails

• M27 Dumbell 20190921 r1.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, zjc26138, Scott Mitchell and 10 others like this

#2 Becomart

Becomart

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:28 AM

Great first effort. Lovely colour and background. I’m assuming you’re not guiding yet...slight bit of star trailing so perhaps reduce your sub time by another 10-15 secs. Do you have the capacity to get an eq mount? 

• mackiedlm likes this

#3 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

Great first effort. Lovely colour and background. I’m assuming you’re not guiding yet...slight bit of star trailing so perhaps reduce your sub time by another 10-15 secs. Do you have the capacity to get an eq mount? 

Thanks for that. Correct, no guiding just now and no real option for an EQ right now. And if I did I dont think I'd put the LX200 on it but rather spend a bit more and get a small fast APO. But I need to make do with what I have just now.

Thats only my second time PA'ing with the wedge (actually second time PA'ing ever!) so I know I can improve that a bit with practice. I also need to train the mount for PEC which may help a bit. So thats my plan and maybe look at guiding later in the season.

Rgds

David.

#4 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

How did you do PA? If you drift align and train your PEC well, you should be able to easily do 60-second unguided subexposures with most of them keepers. Here is an image using 30-second unguided subs without PEC or even good polar alignment. A shorter focal length but about a 50% crop, so perhaps a similar image scale. If you zoom in the stars still don't look too bad. 

#5 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:24 PM

How did you do PA? If you drift align and train your PEC well, you should be able to easily do 60-second unguided subexposures with most of them keepers. Here is an image using 30-second unguided subs without PEC or even good polar alignment. A shorter focal length but about a 50% crop, so perhaps a similar image scale. If you zoom in the stars still don't look too bad.

Hi Alen, thanks for that. This was just the rough PA as described by Meade in the manual, so manually set to polar home then one star align. So the accuracy of the PA is really down to how close you are to polar home. No Drift align at this point as I'm trying to learn this a step at a time. The night before I did some 60s exposure of M27 and they were better in terms of trails although I think the PA was worse! I think a part of the problem on the image above may have been that the wind kicked up some and I think was moving the scope a bit. Every night out is a lesson at this point!

#6 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

It is a great shot, really nice picture.

About taking darks, what is the procedure to put them in the final image...

Something i really have to try the next couple of days

#7 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:20 AM

It is a great shot, really nice picture.

About taking darks, what is the procedure to put them in the final image...

Something i really have to try the next couple of days

Thanks for that.

I use Deep Sky Stacker, it is free software and will allow alignment and stacking of your subs and calibration frames (darks flats etc.) You can download it here. http://deepskystacke...sh/download.htm

It is relatively easy to use but this is a good primer - http://www.astropix....skystacker.html

Plenty other software can/will do it but DSS is the only one I have any real experience with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics