•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC63 - the ghost of Christmas past- 24 hours of narrow band data

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

The Moravian G3 16200 is a wonderful camera. However I suspect that it does not do as well on narrow band targets as my Atik 460. However the 460 does have a limitation and that is the sensor size. I wish Sony would have produced a bigger sensor with the same characteristics but I digress.

I found IC63 an incredibly faint target from my location. It may have been exacerbated by relatively poor transparency but I needed very long exposures to capture anything other than the HA. There was some SII & OIII but it was very faint. I could not capture anything other than RED RGB data as the proximity to bright stars was destroying the blue & green subs with bright off field star banding.

Ultimately I caught a mere smidgen of OII & SII data but it was there upon stretching the image. I realised that it would have perhaps taken at least 24 hours through each narrow band filter to capture anything significant in SII & OIII but the HA was pretty good.

The integration time are below. The telescope is the C14 at F7.7 with Moravian G3 16200 camera mark 2.

1x1 BIN

HA
4 x 1200 Seconds
26 x 1800 Seconds

OIII
4 x 1200 Seconds

SII
3 x 600 Seconds

2x2 BIN

HA 5 x 1800 Seconds
OIII 1 x 1200 Seconds
OIII 4 x 2700 Seconds
SII  1 x 1200 SEconds
SII  3 x 2700 Seconds

Totals

HA        60700  17 Hours
OIII      16800  4.6 hours
SII       11100  3 Hours

Filters Baader HA 3.5 nm Enforced
Chroma 3 nm
Baader SII 4.5 nm

All 50x50 mm square

I have not corrected the image for the Hubble pallet. There is not not enough OIII or SII data.

As always clear skies to you and let me know what you think of the image.

However I'm still not sure if it was worth the 24 hours of imaging time with the C14. I will do better with the RASA 11 when that is rolled out in the next few months. The etude is so much higher on that instrument which is needed on targets like this for the OIII & SII data.

IC63_WEB.jpg

• Ptarmigan, R Botero, elmiko and 7 others like this

#2 baondayko

baondayko

Explorer 1

• Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

I'd never seen this before. Great image and very ghost-like.

• Seanem44 and pyrasanth like this

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

I'd never seen this before. Great image and very ghost-like.

Thanks for your kind words. My capture does not do this object justice. I had so little SII or OIII data. I don't know if it was the conditions or my camera- only time will tell. I'm really looking forward to the new generation of mono large sensor CMOS cameras. They will be great for this type of imaging.

#4 lucam

lucam

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

There isn't much OIII and SII signal in there that I know of. IC63 and IC59 have reflection and emission components. The weak signal you are picking up in OIII is likely to be blue continuum signal from the reflection nebula more so than oxygen specific. If you combine RGB data with your Ha data, you'll be able to see the reflection component well outlined by the signal in the H-alpha emission line. 

Edited by lucam, 23 September 2019 - 04:36 PM.

#5 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

You got me into the Christmas spirit! Nice image of IC63. cool.gif waytogo.gif

• pyrasanth likes this

#6 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:18 AM

Very nice image and cool palette!  cool.gif 

I’m surprised you struggled to capture SII for this one given your scope aperture and the focal ratio you were imagining at. I used a Moravian G4/16000 earlier this month on this target and had good SII data after 7hrs. Ha was 11hrs and detail was good  but got nothing to show in OIII even after 6hrs. This was over the full moon cycle with a 6” refractor at f/8 from suburban London:

https://astrob.in/7cqr8b/H/

Roberto

• pyrasanth likes this

#7 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:25 AM

Very nice image and cool palette!  cool.gif

I’m surprised you struggled to capture SII for this one given your scope aperture and the focal ratio you were imagining at. I used a Moravian G4/16000 earlier this month on this target and had good SII data after 7hrs. Ha was 11hrs and detail was good  but got nothing to show in OIII even after 6hrs. This was over the full moon cycle with a 6” refractor at f/8 from suburban London:

https://astrob.in/7cqr8b/H/

Roberto

I think a big factor may have been the weather. The sky was not very transparent. There certainly was SII data being seen but it was quite weak and needed 45 minute exposures at 2x2 bin to capture. I was using a 4.5 nm filter. I caught a very tiny smidgen of OIII but it was weaker than the SII. The OIII was captured with a 3 nm Chroma filter. I would stress that I needed more time on the SII as the image only has 3 hours. Your 7 hours would have helped the SII development. 

#8 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:08 AM

Indeed; more time always help.  I did enjoy some very good transparent skies with nice seeing but the Moon was full/waning.  Since we are into the new Moon phase, I'd encourage you to capture more SII data.  You have a very nice image that can be easily improved with more data.  If I get a chance I may capture some more blue which was coming in nicely after 2hrs.

Best wishes

Roberto

• pyrasanth likes this

#9 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:26 AM

Indeed; more time always help.  I did enjoy some very good transparent skies with nice seeing but the Moon was full/waning.  Since we are into the new Moon phase, I'd encourage you to capture more SII data.  You have a very nice image that can be easily improved with more data.  If I get a chance I may capture some more blue which was coming in nicely after 2hrs.

Best wishes

Roberto

The weather is currently not good. I will try & capture more SII when the weather lets me. I'm having trouble with green & blue RGB data. I'm getting a lot of bright streaks on the images. This is perhaps because of a bright star just off axis that is spoiling the frames. I'm not seeing this with the red filter- only the green & especially the blue. I also see traces in the longer (2x2 bin 45 minute)  OIII exposures.

#10 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

I don't know if your shot above is a crop or not. If not, the bright star must be Navi (Gamma Cas) which illuminates the two nebula.  It's a blue subgiant.  It's a pain to deal with when processing shots including it and caused me problems in Ha where I had micro-lensing showing up in my 20 min exposures.

Roberto

• pyrasanth likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics