•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC1396 Elephant Trunk Nebula Narrowband

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

I've imaged this a few times now, but never in narrowband. I took most of this during an big moon, and just picked the target so I could sort out some issues I was having with the Paracorr. The adapter that threads it into the moonlite drawtube has a few quirks and somehow I messed up the connections and that took a few nights to sort-out. I've also been setting up a new scope on my other mount so I just let this target roll in the process. Stars are less than perfect, but overall I am pleased with the image. Ha dominates in this region, so I fit channels to Oiii.

C&C Welcome

get.jpg?insecure

Smart Phone Friendly: https://astrob.in/ve3lv4/0/

• elmiko, FiremanDan, ramdom and 4 others like this

#2 abrock5

abrock5

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

I'm currently working on this target myself.  Beautiful image Chris!  The trunk really has a sense of presence here.

#3 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

Very nice. I don't really see any issues with the stars. This was my first NB target and I had a real hard time getting the colors right. I ended up blending SHO and HSO in PS via a trick Tolga showed me to get a nice blue and gold SHO. My C&C is that it looks a tad soft, but that is what makes it look clean and natural too. So not a bad thing. I personally tend to be kind of heavy handed trying to eek out every last bit of detail. I actually admire the softer more natural looking images, I just haven't ever successfully processed an image that way. I might try and reprocess my 8in RC/80mm blend IC 1396 to mimic this. I just did an A/B of yours vs mine and I think I like yours better!

#4 Michael Deger

Michael Deger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich/Germany

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

Hi Chris,

very good - well done!

All the best

Michael

http://galaxyphoto.de

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics