•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

weight difference in focusers (Moonlite vs ES102 standard 2")

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

For those who have made the change how much weight did it add to the scope?

Also if you have a quick by the numbers how you made the install it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 Celerondon

Celerondon

Explorer 1

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:38 AM

The weight change will vary depending on which MoonLight focuser you choose. Their CF (2"), CFL (2.5"), and NiteCrawler all have adapters to fit most popular refractors.

Have you visited the MoonLite Telescope Accessories page? They have a complete flange chart that can help you to learn about the options.

I have not completed a focuser swap on that ES102 but I have done one on a 102mm Kunming United doublet refractor. Is your scope the aluminum tube version of the Explore Scientific triplet Apo? If it is, there should not be much to the focuser swap. My telescope tube was threaded so the installation involved no drama at all. I unscrewed the original focuser flange from my OTA and then carefully screwed the new MoonLite CFL flange into my tube. Bang! The challenging part of the installation was done!

If you have a threaded tube then your installation could be very similar. The MoonLite pages contain installation instructions that cover screw-retained focusers as well.

Don P.

Edited by Celerondon, 23 September 2019 - 07:56 AM.

• Castor likes this

#3 jp071848

jp071848

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

I added a Moonlite CFL to my ES127 (sorry, not the 102) and the weight increase is noticeable. I put the numbers in this thread from a month ago...

https://www.cloudyni...user-questions/

The CFL is a gorgeous piece of work for sure, I should have bought one years ago.

#4 Celerondon

Celerondon

Explorer 1

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

I added a Moonlite CFL to my ES127 (sorry, not the 102) and the weight increase is noticeable. I put the numbers in this thread from a month ago...

https://www.cloudyni...user-questions/

The CFL is a gorgeous piece of work for sure, I should have bought one years ago.

That link has a fine description of the weight difference jp071848. Did you have a difficult experience with the installation sequence?  I saw your reference to a permanently attached flange. Does that comment mean that you encountered more complexity than I did during my routine Moonlite focuser installation?

I agree with your view of Moonlite focuser quality.  My CFL handles my DSLR and other loads with ease.  Although the focuser is fine to look at this 2.5" unit is rather boring in operation.  I don't spend any time adjusting or fiddling with the knobs to get it right.  It just works. 

Every aspect of my experience with Ron and his team was great. When I purchased mine, I found their website to be accessible and smooth. The focuser model and accessory options were extensive.  The design and finish of each of my purchases was consistently excellent.  

Oh, and I got my choice of colors. waytogo.gif

Edited by Celerondon, 23 September 2019 - 08:38 AM.

#5 jp071848

jp071848

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

That link has a fine description of the weight difference jp071848. Did you have a difficult experience with the installation sequence?  I saw your reference to a permanently attached flange. Does that comment mean that you encountered more complexity than I did during my routine Moonlite focuser installation?

I agree with your view of Moonlite focuser quality.  My CFL handles my DSLR and other loads with ease.  Although the focuser is fine to look at this 2.5" unit is rather boring in operation.  I don't spend any time adjusting or fiddling with the knobs to get it right.  It just works. 

Every aspect of my experience with Ron and his team was great. When I purchased mine, I found their website to be accessible and smooth. The focuser model and accessory options were extensive.  The design and finish of each of my purchases was consistently excellent.  

Oh, and I got my choice of colors. waytogo.gif

Thanks. My installation was "special" and not representative of how easily a CFL would normally attach. I struggled with this scope for years, never being able to collimate it correctly and always struggling with the weak, original model focuser. I eventually damaged the fine threads on the focuser end of the OTA and couldn't even screw the focuser flange on any more, so I had to resort to bolting it on to the OTA. I finally got to the point where I dismantled the entire scope (focuser off one end, lens cell off the other) and started measuring things. Turns out the OTA tube was not cut squarely at the factory, so when the old focuser was threaded on, it sat tilted , hence my problems with collimation. Since I had wrecked the threads with my constant fidgeting, I had no choice with Ron's adaptor but to machine off the threads and bolt it to the tube as I had done with the old focuser. This obviously made installation and adjustment a bit more challenging, but since the CFL has two different collimation adjustments, alignment wasn't bad at all. 

I certainly agree, Ron was great to deal with, and was very patient as I had communicated with him over the space of many months while I dithered over this very expensive acquisition.  Luckily, I was on a trip to the US and had Ron ship the CFL to me, allowing me to save a lot in taxes and shipping costs by not mailing it direct here to Canada. Great guy, Ron.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics