•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrade my OAG!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

Hey folks!

I've been using a TS 9mm thick OAG for a few years now on my imaging train that I swap between a few different refractors. If you're familiar with the ZWO version, it's about the same thing.

Recently a friend of mine lent me his WO Star71 and due to some threading issues, I needed to reset the spacing in my whole train to accommodate the focuser's stock threading that would bump into the prism stalk. It's all sorted now, but it made me think that my next purchase priority should probably be a new OAG- one with an adjustable helical focuser to much more easily get the guide cam parfocal as I try out new OTA's and cameras in the future. I've got about 10mm of space that I can use if I want to use my reducer/flatteners - so total thickness of the OAG shouldn't be larger than 19mm.  

I know my options are pretty limited, just curious what you all are using and how much less of a headache you're experiencing from something that is much more adjustable.

Thanks!  

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

I don't have personal experience, but the Astrodon MOAG has a helical focuser for the guide camera. 

• zakry3323 likes this

#3 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

You don't have to have an entirely new OAG, if your OAG has a T-Thread for the connection to the guide camera, you can buy a helical focuser for it. I use the Baader helical on my ZWO OAG, I see that ZWO now makes a non-rotating one as well which would be nice since you wouldn't have to re-calibrate after focusing. 

https://www.highpoin...focuser-for-oag

-Jim

• zakry3323 likes this

#4 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

You don't have to have an entirely new OAG, if your OAG has a T-Thread for the connection to the guide camera, you can buy a helical focuser for it. I use the Baader helical on my ZWO OAG, I see that ZWO now makes a non-rotating one as well which would be nice since you wouldn't have to re-calibrate after focusing. 

https://www.highpoin...focuser-for-oag

-Jim

I think I want to go with something entirely new. The TS has seen better days....rusted grub screws and multiple chips on the prism. Correct spacing is sometimes an issue too when there are only three places the stalk can work, and rarely want to match up with the edge of the sensor. I'd rather just make my life easier at this point and donate the TS to someone who really desperately needs an OAG, and doesn't mind all the headaches this TS comes with smile.gif

Edited by zakry3323, 22 September 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#5 stryker66

stryker66

Vostok 1

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:05 AM

I have the ZWO OAG with helical focuser also from ZWO, I attach the lodestar X2 in it and I can put that on any scope with ease of readjustment.. Its cheap and works flawlessly..

Attached Thumbnails

• 70369153_2540638615979570_5381611382145810432_o.jpg

• zakry3323 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics