•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade dsi ii pro mono

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fullotto

fullotto

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: PA.

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

hello,

i am going to start trying my hand at dso imaging starting out with the above camera. i decided to go with this one

because from reading the online manual and some real old posts from this site & others, this camera was decent enough

to get started with and pretty simple to get the idea of how to image.

i`m just looking for some hints/tricks or some good how-to`s from some of you that have used this cam in the past.

i`m not trying to be a "smarty-pants" but please refrain from saying things like this cam stinks or i wouldnt start off

with this cam, i would start off with this brand or that brand.

i`m only interested to hear from people who have used this camera with decent or not so decent images

and maybe some practical tips on getting the best out of this older style camera.

i just want to see if this is for me before soaking a ton of money in  zwo asi cams or such.

thanks for any help!

#2 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:57 PM

It's a decent enough camera. Due to its small sensor, you're best using it with shorter focal length scopes in order to get as much field of view as you can. Its main downfall is your choice of imaging software. The Meade Envisage package and Nebulosity are the only two I'm aware of that support it. I highly recommend Nebulosity over the Meade software. The dsi series cams are not cooled so darks and bias calibration will be necessary to get decent results. Might invest in an IR block filter as the sensor is quite sensitive to IR and can cause star bloat. Overall not a bad camera but by today's standards it does show its age. If you have a dslr handy, you're much better off starting with it.
  • Hondo likes this

#3 Hondo

Hondo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NB, Canada

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

StarmanDan pretty well sums it up.  I still have a colour version and use it on occasion for guiding,  It is capable of producing decent pictures but the software leaves a lot to be desired,  There is a cooling fan available if you can find one that will aid in lowering the sensor temperature.  Good luck and hope to see some images from you.

#4 fullotto

fullotto

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:59 AM

thank you guys

#5 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:39 AM

It’s actually a much underrated CCD. Sensitive and low noise chip. I got a lot of nice images from it. If it were cooled it would be far better. I used an “Outback” after market cooler, not regulated though. Good luck!

Derek

#6 fullotto

fullotto

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:02 AM

thanks for the "cooler" tip.

#7 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:50 PM

I wouldn't even worry about cooling if this is just a learning camera. I have owned almost every version of these Meade DSIs, I, II, and IIIs over the years. The DSI II mono is actually a pretty good and sensitive camera. I used Nebulosity to run mine and that worked great. Use an IR block filter and take lots of darks to help calibration. Agree to keep it in a shorter focal length scope if possible. They download fast and they process super fast due to the small file size. They are lightweight and do not stress your focuser at all. Actually, lots to recommend for these little guyswaytogo.gif ...not to mention they are dirt cheap on the used market!

Don't forget to square the pixels during your pre-processing steps. They are not square.

#8 fullotto

fullotto

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

thank you! that's is why I`m using this...I got dirt cheap w/ the filters & seller said he only used maybe 5 secessions.

he told me it worked really well.

u say... don't forget to "square" the pixels during pre-processing. don't remember reading this in the manual.

where in the software or what tab would I find this operation?

thnx

#9 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

I don't have it in front of me but nebulosity has a batch processing command that will square up the pixels which are actually 8.3 x 8.6 microns.

#10 fullotto

fullotto

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:21 PM

yes your right. i printed the manual and read over the processing technique. that is exactly

what nebulosity does. also checked out with Meade via phone and that was right.

#11 fullotto

fullotto

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

hi again, i just did a little further reading for which i didnt understand what "nebulosity" was. this is another pre-processing program...not part of of the Envisage software which i will be using.

and from their web site, its not free-ware. at least v4 is not.

got any more info on this program that will help? 

i thought i saw something in the meade Envisage software that refered to nebulosity but that was just some shading

technique...like i said, i misunderstood what you were talking about.

Edited by fullotto, 25 September 2019 - 04:12 PM.

#12 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:02 AM

Nebulosity is a camera control and image processing program made by Stark Labs. While you do have to pay for it, it is worth every penny. It supports quite a few different cameras and other imaging hardware. The Meade Envisage is free but only supports Meade cameras, and has quite a clunky interface IMO and is no longer being actively developed so any bugs or incompatibility issues you may run into you won't have any support for.

Edited by StarmanDan, 26 September 2019 - 02:03 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics