•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Case for Nexstar Evolution mount

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alexcue

alexcue

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

I just bought my first real telescope, the Nexstar Evolution 9.25". My problem right now is finding a good padded case for just the mount.  I realized that the OTA and mount will not fit in the Celestron case.  I've spent quite a bit of time looking on the internet for something but to no avail.  

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

Congratulations on your first "real" scope.  Nice. 

If you are wanting to save some money so you can buy some eyepieces, you might consider a Husky or similar case.  Look around and you can find one that is right size.  Just add some foam.

Enjoy

jd

• alexcue likes this

#3 Dave_L

Dave_L

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Joshua Tree, CA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:45 PM

I have my Celestron NexStar 8SE in a Pelican case. They are really nice but pricey. Whatever you do, just remember that a good case is worth the time and effort because you are protecting your investment. When I haul my scope around put it in and out of trucks and vans, I am confident because it is in a solid case with perfect cut-out foam. Peace of mind is worth a good case. Just my two cents. 

• alexcue likes this

#4 alexcue

alexcue

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for your help!  I appreciate the suggestions.

#5 stoest

stoest

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:36 PM

Here's a case I built for my Evo 9.25 for less than $100.  Rolling case with handle from the local mega-mart and a 4x8' sheet of foam from the internet.  I cut out the foam and glued it to cardboard every other layer to give it some stiffness, there are probably 6 or 7 layers of foam.  I can bungee cord the tripod on top and roll everything pretty easily.  I have a small piece of foam that goes over the mount and the hand controller goes on top of that (not on top of the OTA like the picture).

Attached Thumbnails

• scope case small.JPG

• Starman27 and alexcue like this

#6 alexcue

alexcue

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

@stoest that gives me a great starting point!  Thanks,  It may not fit in my Prius, but no problem in my Tundra!

#7 whizbang

whizbang

Messenger

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

I found a padded caterers bag. Do a search on perfect Evolution bag/case. I think I posted photos and a part number.

#8 whizbang

whizbang

Messenger

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

https://www.cloudyni...ag#entry9248479

• alexcue likes this

#9 alexcue

alexcue

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:27 PM

That's awesome @Whizbang.  I'm going try this one just because it's smaller. I can't use the packing foam, because it's different on the 9.25", but I've order some pluck n foam (and egg crate foam) and I'm sure I can make it work for just the mount, and maybe a 2" diagonal which I don't have a good case for.  Safer all the way around.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics