•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What EP's work in the Oberwerk BT100XL ED?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

I haven't posted on here in a LONG time, the last 5 years has been a busy one with me buying a 7.5 acre site and building a house on it along with a bunch of observatories. The skies here offer an excellent southern horizon, with SQM readings in the non snow covered months of 21.5-21.8

I generally do visual while my CCD's are running and on Friday I picked up a set of pearl white Oberwerk BT100's along with the 22mm and 7mm EP pairs. Dealing with Kevin was first rate, the initial sale, prompt shipping and receiving the binos in perfect condition.

While waiting for them to arrive, I read a few threads on here regarding all aspects of the product. This post by Pinac https://www.cloudyni...werk/?p=8905369 lists a bunch of EP's that were compatible with the Oberwerk focuser.

The included 14mm work great, no issues with my IP or nose getting in the way. I measured the center to center on the adjusted EPS and it looks like my IP is 65mm.

The 22mm barrels are quite large and I can only get a full FOV by tilting my head down as my nose touches.

Using the 7mm is not possible for the same reason, but no doubt worse due to the small exit pupil.

I tested some of my other single EP's I have for my other scopes to see what came to focus, not necessarily what would clear my nose, since I only have singles.

Focused:

5mm Nagler

10mm Meade MWA

18mm Coronado Cemax

32mm Antares Plossl

Not focused:

8mm Ethos

13mm Ethos

I'm particularly interested in some wide AFOV EP's like 24 Pans or the ES 24's, I'm curious if either of these come to focus, and how you found the comfort level with nose conflicts compared to the Oberwerk EP's?

So if you have an Oberwerk BT100XL, please post up what works for you and this thread can be an EP database for that optic.

edit: haha wow I need to update my equipment list!

Edited by PGW Steve, 22 September 2019 - 08:15 PM.

#2 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

I thought more people might have these and be able to offer some input.

I've had these BT's for a couple weeks now, and had a few clear nights with them, WOW! My bino viewing has typically been with Celestron 15x70's or Canon 10x42L IS, other visual with various OTA's up to 16".

I had a mini star party last New Moon, and due to the poor forecast, only had 14 attendees. Most people tried the BT's and there were lots of positive remarks, these things are addictive to look through.  

A friend brought out his binoviewing kit so we could test EP's and tested the following:

TV 40mm Plossl- Had to pull them out of the focusers by about 1/2" and tighten in order for them to focus, huge FOV!

Celestron 30mm Ultima- These focused on trees about 2 miles distant, but were within 1/4 turn of bottomed. Unsure if they will focus on the sky. True FOV was slightly wider than the TV 40's

Celestron 26mm Silver Top Plossl- Focus excellent

Celestron 18mm Ultima- Focus excellent

Baader 15mm- Focus excellent

Explore Scientific 14mm- Focus excellent

Compared the ES 14mm to the Oberwerk 14mm 70* and found the Oberwerk much sharper.

I sent the Obie 7mm's back to Oberwerk for exchange for some 6.7mm ES EP's to clear my nose.

Still looking for info on the elusive 24mm Panoptic.

#3 harbinjer

harbinjer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

I have some friends in the local club with the older Oberwerk BT120-45(45# metal unibody). They use Pan24s. They chose them as best overall, after trying many many premium pairs at the Okie-Tex star party a few years ago.  I can't guarantee that they will come to focus in yours. But what I can say is that the view is quite amazing in a BT, and they have reasonable space for you nose(for the average western nose). 

This gives you a point of reference, you could ask Kevin at oberwerk about how the focus point of yours compares to those older set.

Edited by harbinjer, 07 October 2019 - 09:31 AM.

• PGW Steve and duck2k like this

#4 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

I have some friends in the local club with the older Oberwerk BT120-45(45# metal unibody). They use Pan24s. They chose them as best overall, after trying many many premium pairs at the Okie-Tex star party a few years ago.  I can't guarantee that they will come to focus in yours. But what I can say is that the view is quite amazing in a BT, and they have reasonable space for you nose(for the average western nose). 

This gives you a point of reference, you could ask Kevin at oberwerk about how the focus point of yours compares to those older set.

I am getting an order from Kevin shortly.  I ordered the BT 82 XL, and Kevin took the time to adjust my focusers to take my 17.5 Morphs. He also tested other eyepieces I do own and concluded I can use most of them. He is really awesome and if you have questions, he has the answers.  Great person!:)

• PGW Steve and Goodchild like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics