•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Visual Back for SCT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Siggy

Siggy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:29 PM

I might have misidentified my question about C6 diagonals.  I actually have a good 1.25 diagonal.  What I dislike are the little set screws on the visual back and on the EP side of the diagonal.  There are 1.25 diagonals available with quick lock, clicklock or other designs for the EP side.  However, it seems you need at least one or two moderately expensive components on the telescope side to achieve quicklock stability.  Either a SCT to 2" adaptor with a quicklock or SCT to M48 adaptor to quicklock or other adaptors.  Any ideas on this?  Williams may make one but out of stock or production, Baader is very expensive.

Really prefer a quicklock to a direct connect 2" diagonal.  Thanks.

#2 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

Like you, I'm not a big fan of setscrews to hold the components.There are other solutions, but for my 9.24 and 11" SCT's, I use a Baader click lock (SCT/2") and put an Explore Scientific 2" diagonal into that. The Baader holds the diagonal with an extremely solid grip. The ES diagonal uses a brass compression ring on the eyepiece end, not as secure as the click lock, but seems OK for my use and doesn't mar the barrel of the eyepiece. Not cheap, but worth it to me. I also have a 5" SCT. I probably will not use 2" stuff on this OTA, I purchased a Blue Fireball visual back (#E-15) and a GSO mirror diagonal from Agena Astro Products. Both of these use the compression ring method and will work for me. Celestron has a new pair of diagonals that feature some sort of twist-to-lock system for the eyepiece end. I do not favor the "threaded collar" method of securing diagonals to the rear cell of an SCT. I had the older Celestron 2" SCT diagonal that attached to the rear cell just this way. With heavier eyepieces, it would sometimes loosen and rotate unexpectedly, resulting in a heart rate elevating surprise that I can do without.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0611.jpg
  • IMG_0648.jpg

• Castor, eros312, 2Barrel and 1 other like this

#3 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

Consider this:

https://agenaastro.c...-back-e-15.html

Significantly more robust than the Celestron, 2-screw compression ring and inexpensive.

• Castor, Cali and Siggy like this

#4 Siggy

Siggy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:26 PM

Ordered the Fireball e-15 and will use with my 1.25 diagonal with twist lock.  This VB looks better and solid even though it still uses set screws.

• desertlens likes this

#5 Mike McShan

Mike McShan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:19 PM

I bought the Fireball VB and have been quite satisfied with it. I think that you will find it a good solution.

Clear skies, Mike

Edited by Mike McShan, 23 September 2019 - 05:31 PM.

• Siggy likes this

#6 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

Another possible anternative:

Antares 2" SCT Visual Back with Twist Lock # T2TL  $38 USD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics