•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay and other vintage, classic telescope ads Dead Horse Beating

classic equipment
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:08 AM

Please feel free to use this area to discuss things we shouldn't discuss in Craigslist, eBay and other vintage, classic telescope ads thread waytogo.gif.

'Dead Horse Beating' is frainch fer 'Side Discussions'...

Edited by AstroKerr, 23 September 2019 - 06:20 AM.

#2 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

So...

That thread gets seller's items more notice - so it's great!

That thread includes comments or opinions about items for sale, sometimes negative - so it sucks!

That thread sometimes points out items I haven't found for myself - so it's great!

That thread sometimes points out items I found for myself  and creates competition - so it sucks!

It's a two headed hammer - Good for Buyers and Sellers, or Bad for Buyers and Sellers at first glance. But what effect does it really have, percentage wise? For me, as a buyer, honestly - little negative, mostly positive. Maybe it creates some competition, but I'm thinking not much - two lovely classics recently posted I managed to pick up for minimal cost. Maybe because the people reading the thread already had the same or similar models.

There have been one or two instances when an item being posted may have caused a bit of competition, but my gut says the competition was already there to begin with - Classic folk are hunter-gatherers - they know how to seek classics out.

So, an item gets a post and someone offers an opinion on it's worth - overpriced / underpriced / spot on. I don't see that as a bad thing - for buyers or sellers, because it can keep both from feeling ripped off / taken / remorseful. I find those opinions helpful, but they are not law or decree and we are all free to buy and sell above and below whatever average market value.

I don't think that you can have a thread like 'Craigslist, eBay and other vintage, classic telescope ads' that's just a bland, neutral repost of items already listed elsewhere - it's not in our natures. Without the commentary, good or bad, I wouldn't bother reading it. If a poster can't say "This is out there and this is what I think about it" - are they going to bother posting?

If I were selling I'd want top dollar, sure. But what I think is top dollar and what the market thinks is top dollar ain't always the same. If I were waiting for an item to move and it hadn't, I'd kinda wanna know why, even if it's "Buddy, you're asking too much.' I'd be better informed.

coughcoughcough back to bed

#3 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

This actually has been discussed many times here, there are old threads already, but if you want to dig it up again, I won't stop it if the moderators allow it.  People do tend to get hurt when their favorite scope isn't everyone else's favorite, but that's the way the world goes 'round.  

#4 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

BeatingADeadHorse.gif

lock.gif :bow:

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

I second.

Thanks Terra.

#6 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

Having another thread that will essentially duplicate another topic is not necessary.  If you can't say it in the other CL topic, you can't say it here.  What is needed is more adherence to the existing guidelines that are at the top of every month's heading.  I'm locking this one up.

Charlie

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics