•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cannot get Celestron PEC Tool to Connect to CGX-L

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:02 AM

I am trying to use the Celestron PEC tool to do a batch PEC analysis on my CGX-L but cannot get the PEC tool to connect.  In the pull-down menu it gives me two options:  1) NextRemote - this is from my previous use of the tool with my CGE and does not work with the CGX series; 2) COM13 - selecting this does not work.  There is nothing connected to my computer on Com 13.

I have the mount connected to my PC using the USB input to the bottom of the hand control and with CPWI running on the PC and connected to the mount.   This is how it should be done.  I checked the COM ports on my computer and it shows the connection to the hand control with the internal USB to Serial adapter indicating this is on Com port 3, but typing that into the PEC tool pull down menu item does not work.  I tried typing several different Com port numbers in the PEC tool pull down menu to no avail.

From other threads it is clear that this can be done, but the threads do not address my problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Curtis

#2 driven

driven

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

I have not done this yet myself, so I may be full of hot air.  Have some salt on hand.

The difference between NexRemote and CPWI is that NexRemote provides a virtual com port to connect other software to, CPWI does not.  CPWI "uses up" the com port and only provides an ASCOM interface to connect with.  The PEC tool wants to use a serial port, so with CPWI in the mix you are out of luck.  If you don't run CPWI I believe you will be able to connect the PEC tool to COM3.  After doing so, just train the PEC like you normally would.  When you are done you can reconnect CPWI and enable PEC and you should be good to go.

#3 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

Sounds worth trying 

Regards

Curtis

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics