•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tips for Haleakala/ Maui trip this week?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

Hi, tried posting in the outreach forum but didn't get much traction.

I'm going to be on Maui this week with my little 90mm Mak Cass and was wondering if anyone had any tips for maximum enjoyment of the awesome night skies.

Thanks!

#2 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

Hi, tried posting in the outreach forum but didn't get much traction.

I'm going to be on Maui this week with my little 90mm Mak Cass and was wondering if anyone had any tips for maximum enjoyment of the awesome night skies.

Thanks!

By all means drive to the top of Haleakala if the forecast is good; it's a magical place. Check the Mauna Kea forecast rather than the lowland forecast; the weather at the top can be crystal clear even when it's raining down below. But high clouds will affect you equally at all altitudes.

You probably don't want to fight the sunset-viewing crowd, but it's an easy drive if you start up as they're coming down. Bring plenty of warm clothes; it can easily go below freezing at night. An expedition-weight down parka plus long underwear and a warm hat should be ample.

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

Nothing to do with your scope, but get yourself acclimated.

The problem with Haleakala is it is around 10,000 ft. and most folks in Maui are staying a sea level.

So in the hour or two it takes to drive to the summit, some people have problems with altitude sickness.

(I took a group up here and I had to take one person back down in an emergency).   If possible

find some lodging half way up the mountain so you can spend a night getting use to the lack of air.

Also this mountain makes its own weather which can change very quickly.  Bring warm clothes, rain gear etc.

As far as viewing, If you are from the US mainland, I would find some targets that are low in the south, that

are either invisible to you up here, or are poor viewing.

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#4 GDAstrola

GDAstrola

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Louis

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

A beautiful area to visit.  The lapse rate relating to temperature change with elevation change is something you need to be aware of.  With a potential drop in temperature of as much as 3.5 F per 1000ft. you need to be prepared to keep warm.  Needless to say, the wind may be significantly stronger as well.

I hope you enjoy.

#5 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

Sunrise from the summit is absolutely worth getting up early for. Depending on where you're staying, phase of the moon, it might be you could go up early and observe, then catch the sunrise. 

Altitude is a real problem, as vtornado says. We stayed at a B&B halfway up and really enjoyed it. I assume it helped a little with acclimation but probably not that much. It did shorten the drive. The other thing was the B&B had great skies itself. It's been 20 years and I don't remember the name.

#6 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all! Glad I brought some warm gear.

#7 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:01 AM

Yea - Koloa Kaua'i Coconut Rum, some limes, and a 6 pack of Hawaiian Sun "Pass-O-Guava" juice drink. Enjoy!

Ken

#8 GDAstrola

GDAstrola

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Louis

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:11 PM

How did it go?

#9 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

How did it go?

Unbelievable. Just posted a report here: https://www.cloudyni...-and-haleakala/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics