•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense Camera Repair

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

I'm afraid I compromised (fried ?) the board inside my starsense camera.  All for the want of a crummy $10 cable tester !  The camera isn't recognized by any mount combo, nor by the CFM updater - although the CFM updater sees the hand controller.

Has anyone dealt with a DIY repair ?  Or know of other options ?  

Do you have a starsense camera where you destroyed the optics, but the circuit boards are good ?  I might be interested in buying it from you !

I've got inquiries into Celestron but they've misread my question.  Hopefully they get back with an answer that responds to my question.

john

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:56 PM

Hi John,

Other than a talented electronics technician determining exactly what component(s) on the board to replace, or getting a hit on a camera someone dropped and cracked into pieces, I think it needs to go back to Celestron...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#3 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

Update

Celestron says it does not repair the Starsense cameras, or sell them separately.  They say a repair would be close to the cost of a new unit.

Onto plan B.

j

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:49 PM

Ouch!

#5 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:10 AM

StarSence quite frequently come up for sale used here on CN for a discount from retail.  Good luck.  You could sell the extra hand control. 

-Dave 

#6 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:32 PM

StarSence quite frequently come up for sale used here on CN for a discount from retail.  Good luck.  You could sell the extra hand control. 

-Dave 

Do be cautious when buying a used Starsense. Check it is in full working order. That might sound obvious wise advice, but there is a more sinister reason...

Poor guidance in the instruction manual sometimes results in owners mistakenly unscrewing the camera lens as if a DSLR. This isn’t easily user serviceable, and hence means the system becomes inaccurate or simply doesn’t work. The owner then sells (sometimes in genuine good faith) thinking it is just user error or local problems with obstructions. The only remedy is factory recalibration.  

#7 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

Thanks all.  I actually bought a new one almost immediately upon frying the dead one - one session attempting to contort my old and infirm body into the positions necessary to do a visual alignment was enough to part with the money. 

I'm trying to recoup some of the $$ by fixing and selling the old one. 

And, if I understand Celestron correctly they don't do repairs on the starsense units.    If you created a problem while the unit is under warranty, they simply send you a new unit.  So, I'm not sure recalibration is even an option, not that I need to fix the optics on my unit.

I'd love to find a unit that suffers from the problem that Noah mentions.  Exactly what I need.

j

Edited by nic35, 25 September 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#8 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:44 PM

Do be cautious when buying a used Starsense. Check it is in full working order. That might sound obvious wise advice, but there is a more sinister reason...

Poor guidance in the instruction manual sometimes results in owners mistakenly unscrewing the camera lens as if a DSLR. This isn’t easily user serviceable, and hence means the system becomes inaccurate or simply doesn’t work. The owner then sells (sometimes in genuine good faith) thinking it is just user error or local problems with obstructions. The only remedy is factory recalibration.  

As someone who has been considering purchasing a StarSense on the used market soon, this was a valuable piece of info.

Not meaning to derail John's thread, but Noah, you said that it isn't EASILY user serviceable rather than not serviceable at all. Has anyone found a way to tap into the video feed on the SS cameras so as to adjust focus if the camera does get messed up?

#9 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

I bought mine used, no issues.  It was sold because the previous owner sold the mount it was on and bought a Sky Watcher mount.  So I would say ask questions about it before buying. I did.

-Dave

#10 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:50 PM

As someone who has been considering purchasing a StarSense on the used market soon, this was a valuable piece of info.

Not meaning to derail John's thread, but Noah, you said that it isn't EASILY user serviceable rather than not serviceable at all. Has anyone found a way to tap into the video feed on the SS cameras so as to adjust focus if the camera does get messed up?

Somewhere in CN is a thread where people have encountered an out of focus Starsense  camera and (IMHO) probably more by luck than judgement they have managed to refocus the lens that (unlike a DSLR) is NOT intended to be unscrewed. Everything I have read suggests this step needs factory calibration. But it’s evidently been done. How, I guess by trial and error, but it might take forever....

Maybe Mike Swanson has some thoughts?

Edited by Noah4x4, 28 September 2019 - 02:51 PM.

• mikenoname likes this

#11 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:39 PM

Somewhere in CN is a thread where people have encountered an out of focus Starsense  camera and (IMHO) probably more by luck than judgement they have managed to refocus the lens that (unlike a DSLR) is NOT intended to be unscrewed. Everything I have read suggests this step needs factory calibration. But it’s evidently been done. How, I guess by trial and error, but it might take forever....

Thanks Noah. Found the thread on CN as well as its source on TeamCelestron:

https://www.cloudyni...n/#entry8943213

https://teamcelestro...&p=12755#p12755

#12 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:33 AM

Pleased to hear that. I had forgotten about the blob of paint tip. I have a number of similar blobs on my mount, tripod, Starsense camera etc to potentially aid the recovery of lost settings. Never had to use one yet, but it’s comforting!
  • nic35 likes this

#13 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:13 PM

John,

Now that we are done derailing your thread, did anyone come forward with a busted SS?

#14 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

John,

Now that we are done derailing your thread, did anyone come forward with a busted SS?

No luck yet.

j

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics