•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 4500 upgrade mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chardo

Chardo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Royal Oak, Michigan. USA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

I have a made 4504 1/2. I was considering picking up the guided mount that was sold with a different version of this scope. I found one for $70. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Or should I save $70 and put it towards a different time of mount?

#2 Andynator

Andynator

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

Guided mount, or one with a simple battery clock drive for the RA axis?

I upgraded my 4.5" long-tube F10 Newtonian with an Orion Starseeker mount I picked up here in the classifieds. It's just about perfect for that.

#3 Chardo

Chardo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Royal Oak, Michigan. USA

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Yes some kind of guided mount. This is my grab and go scope. I also tend to use it for outreach events. It would be nice to be able to find more targets and spend less time hunting.

Guided mount, or one with a simple battery clock drive for the RA axis?

I upgraded my 4.5" long-tube F10 Newtonian with an Orion Starseeker mount I picked up here in the classifieds. It's just about perfect for that.

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

I'd look for a used EQ-3 mount from Orion, Celestron CG-4, Explorer Scientific EXOS-1 or Vixen Polaris if you want to stay with a GEM. They are all easy to motorize.

Otherwise, goto Alt Az is cheap by way of a Nexstar GT. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics