•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Found way to remove internal specks on lens without taking eyepiece apart!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

I was carrying my SM 90 III around on it's Unisar- AP tripod when my 10 XW in a bolt case rolled out of the tray and landed on the patio. There was a stress crack in the bolt case and the XW had a small speck of something on a internal lens near the edge of the FOV.  The AP tray is nice and thick but has very low sides.  I dropped the eyepiece on it's side in the bolt case on a throw rug on a wood floor from 1.5 feet.  The speck was gone and knocking it a bit or shaking the eyepiece didn't bring it back! This got to me thinking about my Hyperion Zoom III with 4 specks in the center of a internal lens. I did the same thing and now there's only one speck almost on the field stop that's hard to even see! As with the XW the spots stayed put  with some shaking and such. I'm really happy to have the zoom in my lineup!  Very nice for HA since I can go low power wise to look for faint proms. David  

Edited by dscarpa, 23 September 2019 - 03:44 PM.

• Castor and Ernest_SPB like this

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

Next time, slam it into your other hand.  That is safe, and usually disposes of the tiny bits of paint flakes that are often found on the lenses.

• Castor and airbleeder like this

#3 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

I'll try that first next time. Thanks! The throw rugs pretty soft and I took care it landed on it's side and not too hard  but what I did was probably overkill.    David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics