•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dobson's telescope making on youtube

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

Just watched Dobsons YouTube on telescope making from mirror grinding to tube making  and mount.

Highly reccomend this for anyone building a dob...   

Though I do not have one, I may reconsider now... the guy was  a true  enthusiast.

• clusterbuster likes this

#2 2696

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

Just watched Dobsons YouTube on telescope making from mirror grinding to tube making and mount.

Highly reccomend this for anyone building a dob...

Though I do not have one, I may reconsider now... the guy was a true enthusiast.

I watched this video a couple months ago and enjoyed every minute of it. Very informative and really inspired me to grind my own mirrors one day.

#3 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

A great video, John Dobson helped us all !!!

Mark

#4 sopticals

sopticals

Apollo

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

And he keeps it "SIMPLE". A simple dob can work well and give very satisfying views. And a simple dob can be inexpensive and easy enough for anyone with less than

professional skills to make, from grinding ones own mirror to completing the structure to support the optical system. 

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

• Augustus likes this

#5 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

I remember when "The Astronomers" first aired on PBS in April 1991, the first episode devoted almost 20 min or so to the venerable John Dobson. 

A very interesting man who helped to found the Sanfransisco sidewalk Astronomers. Who were responsible for setting up their scope all around that city letting anyone who wanted to look through a telescope to actually look.

When it came to grinding and polishing mirrors he had this natural ability and taught how to build a large altaz mounted reflector out of inexpensive easy to find parts, even stuff you just had laying around. What a gift!

Every Amateur who has or uses a Dobsonian mounted Telescope owes you a big thank-you. RIP John!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Augustus likes this

#6 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cordoba, Argentina South America

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:48 AM

I've seen that video at least 5 times....and when I'm bored I watch it again 😉

I don't get tired of watching it. Even though his scope is very simple and heavy, it is an excellent guide to build a more than descent telescope!

#7 Cameron_C

Cameron_C

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill Ontario Canada

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:56 AM

I am sure I was not the only one to gasp when he used the mirror to knock a nail back into the bench while he was grinding.

Until that time, I was really treating my glass with kid gloves.

I am still careful, and I would never consider using the glass as a hammer, but knowing that he did and so nonchalantly, reassures me that things will be fine... 

• Augustus and 2696 like this

#8 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cordoba, Argentina South America

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:22 AM

I am sure I was not the only one to gasp when he used the mirror to knock a nail back into the bench while he was grinding.
Until that time, I was really treating my glass with kid gloves.
I am still careful, and I would never consider using the glass as a hammer, but knowing that he did and so nonchalantly, reassures me that things will be fine...

I believe he was using the grinding tool as hammer... nonetheless he did literally throw the unfinished mirror from the bench to the lawn for cleaning with the hose 😱

I was mostly surprised by the simple mirror cell more than anything else...
  • Augustus likes this

#9 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

I was mostly surprised by the simple mirror cell more than anything else...

My 16" used a clone of Dobson's cell design. Worked really well, arguably better than some of the fancy welded stuff you often see.

Edited by Augustus, 26 September 2019 - 08:33 PM.

• Diego likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics