•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12” f 9 zen Maksutov

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stuart keenor

stuart keenor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Hi all

here is my new aquasition is a 12” f9 Maksutov from Italian telescope maker Romano zen, it’s the last one he had as a complete build, so couldn’t let it pass 

At f9 it’s a compromise of a planetary scope as I also do a bit of deep sky , 

the scope is built very well indeed , very nice engineering , obviously it’s heavy !! At 30kg my friend paul c  is currently undertaking some minor works a new carbon fibre dew shield , and il have to work out a solution for a Handel ! Obviously again as soon as I test the scope il post it here 

thanks stuart

Attached Thumbnails

• 7E280123-5FB0-4857-A00A-1D2885C70FA1.jpeg

• Paul Hyndman, elwaine, TG and 7 others like this

#2 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

Very Cool !!!

Mark

#3 stuart keenor

stuart keenor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

Some more photos

Attached Thumbnails

• F6502558-BD03-4A6E-8E14-60A2833DC3FA.jpeg

Edited by stuart keenor, 23 September 2019 - 03:32 PM.

• R Botero, Colin exraaf, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#4 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:03 PM

That meniscus must be one heavy piece of glass.  The cooling fan was a forgone conclusion! Very impressive. 

Frank

#5 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:17 PM

Very impressive, despite its large co I am willing to bet that it will produce decent planetary views.

Astro-Physics designed a custom made 12" f/8 Mak, it is installed in Chile for remote imaging, you can Google and see the pictures.

Vahe

#6 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:26 PM

Beautiful example of fine Venetian artisan glass :)

Stuart 30kg is a big lift especially in the dark or late at night, and finding suitable handles wont be easy.

Berlebach have some with 25mm dia ash handles and black anodised metal parts to bolt onto the tube, should do fine or alternatively use a carbon fibre tube for the handle.

You could also consider

- add lifting eyes (rings) bolted firmly in place (smaller than handles) and then use a fabric strap through those to lift it,

- a length of seat-belt webbing sewn in a loop as a sling over one shoulder. That material is surprisingly easy to stitch on a domestic sewing machine.

Edited by luxo II, 23 September 2019 - 05:41 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#7 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

Beautiful scope!!! Cant wait to hear your reports.

#8 stuart keenor

stuart keenor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

Beautiful example of fine Venetian artisan glass :)

Stuart 30kg is a big lift especially in the dark or late at night, and finding suitable handles wont be easy.

Berlebach have some with 25mm dia ash handles and black anodised metal parts to bolt onto the tube, should do fine or alternatively use a carbon fibre tube for the handle.

You could also consider

- add lifting eyes (rings) bolted firmly in place (smaller than handles) and then use a fabric strap through those to lift it,

- a length of seat-belt webbing sewn in a loop as a sling over one shoulder. That material is surprisingly easy to stitch on a domestic sewing machine.

Yes the Handel is a must even thinking about strap Handel’s I’ve seen a few , saves taking the scope apart as well ! I had a 10” f15 intes a while ago , and I thought that was heavy also it’s out of collimation so il have to remember to colllimate rumak casses 🤔

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics