•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to Tote an Atlas EQ-G Mount

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tango Charlie

Tango Charlie

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

Wanted some wisdom on what to use to safely transport my heavy Atlas EQ-G Mount?  

#2 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:14 AM

I dunno, maybe try a sturdy pack mule...???

Sorry about that--the devil made me do it!

-jim-

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:28 AM

In separate pieces. Preferably buy/make a trolly - 4 wheels/castors - and place it on that and tow it around (that is my plan for a mount I have, think the bit smaller HEQ5).

The head weighs a ton, a big lump, then there are the counterweights.

To carry the tripod wrap a short bungee cord around the lower legs - stops them spreading out. Find the balance point and grip there. But in general it is a case of reduce to the main components and load each separately.

My head and weights are in a travel trolly bag for towing round. Still a bit too heavy to lift but you put 2 bits in, tow, get to whereever, take 2 bits out. As said in separate pieces.

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:29 PM

If you are talking about a few feet from your house/ garage to your observing spot in the yard, here is what I did with my Sirius: 

• stand on what will be the west side of the mount, between the tripod legs (I'm left handed)
  • reach over the mount head and grab the bottom side of the top of the tripod, the black part where that rod threads into the mount from below
  • keeping your hip close to the mount, stand up straight to pick the mount up
  • walk to where ever you're going and set it down

I was able to carry my Sirius (30 lb +/-) with twenty-two pounds of counter weights like that without trouble.  I left the RA clutch loose to prevent me from putting stress on the worm while I carried it.

If you're talking about transporting to another observing location, I agree with sg6: small pieces in your car.  Tripods, counter weight shafts, counter weights ride in my trunk.  The mount head itself rides on the floor in the back seat of my car.

#5 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

Wanted some wisdom on what to use to safely transport my heavy Atlas EQ-G Mount?

In pieces. Get my cardio work out setting it up😃.

Jmd

#6 Rovert9988

Rovert9988

Vostok 1

• Loc: WA State

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

I use my Atlas for imaging and regularly have to drive about 45 minutes to my "dark" site. It's not the greatest for transport, but can definitely be done. That's assuming you will setup reasonably close to your car.

I carry the tripod in a soft Bogen bag, and the weights I transport loose without issue. The mount itself gets put into a Pelican 1550 case, which is pretty hefty to lift (about 65 pounds). Really though you need a larger case, the Atlas just barely fits into the 1550 and actually touches a couple spots, especially with the Losmandy D style saddle on it rather than the standard one. This case just happened to come with the mount when I bought it used.

#7 f300v10

f300v10

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:25 AM

I use a Pelican 1600 to transport my EQ6-R to my dark site.  I have an Orion soft padded telescope bag for the tripod, and a Husky electricians bag (on the right in the image) from Home Depot to carry the four 11 lb. counterweights.

post-217711-0-57399200-1417935532.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics