•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Winter Star Party 2020

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:44 PM

Hello everyone, it's that time of the year once again to get going on setting up and putting together the Winter Star Party. I will be checking in regularly on this thread to answer any questions that you may have and provide any important information that may become available. With that being said, there will be no power once again this year so small quiet generators are permitted for your power needs. Registration is officially open. Please be assured that the 2020 Winter Star Party team is working super hard to make the 2020 Winter Star Party one for the ages. Can't wait to see some old friends and make new ones under the wonderful Florida Keys skies!!!

Edited by crazyqban, 24 September 2019 - 11:46 PM.

• Astrojensen, steveastrouk, clusterbuster and 1 other like this

#2 Richcassidy

Richcassidy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

Registered!!

First time for me...few quick questions:

1. Bringing the Airstream. Do you tell me where to park or should I plan on lining up 3 days early to get a good spot:-)?

2. Any chance to occasionally run a water hose to the tanks to fill up and is there a dump station nearby?

3. 20" Obsession....just grab a spot and set up?

4. Any other hints for a Newb?

Thanks to everyone for putting this together. I've been to the Florida Keys many times and I'm really looking forward to this. Can't imagine all the work that must go into this - it's appreciated!!

#3 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

Can you please confirm there will in fact be electricity available to those 25 individuals who have purchased spots at Camp Sawyer next door as per what was written at the site during registration?

#4 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

Registered!!

1. Bringing the Airstream. Do you tell me where to park or should I plan on lining up 3 days early to get a good spot:-)?

2. Any chance to occasionally run a water hose to the tanks to fill up and is there a dump station nearby?

Thanks to everyone for putting this together. I've been to the Florida Keys many times and I'm really looking forward to this. Can't imagine all the work that must go into this - it's appreciated!!

Hi Rich, I will ask someone that is more familiar with RVs. I'll get back to you later today. Kinda swamped at work.

#5 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

Can you please confirm there will in fact be electricity available to those 25 individuals who have purchased spots at Camp Sawyer next door as per what was written at the site during registration?

Hi RedDog, I will find out today and get back to you. Probably in the early evening.

• reddog1972 likes this

#6 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

Registered!!

Hi Rich, here is the info...

RV's will be given an arrival time so they can simply drive in on Monday morning and not line up. Example a 30' RV would arrive between 10 and 10:30 am and drive right in. Our staff will help you park.

There are water outlets there and if you have a long enough hose, you may fill up. I'm not sure, but there may be a dumping station at Bahia Honda on your way out. Please do not plan on leaving to use the dump stations and come back during the event. It is not safe for the large rigs to come in and out.

Yes.

Plan to enjoy yourself!

#7 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

Also, just wanted everyone to know that there is a contact e-mail and phone number at the bottom of the Winter Star Party web page. I don't mind answering question here but that is another option that I wanted to share with you.

http://scas.org/winter-star-party/

#8 Richcassidy

Richcassidy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

Awesome thank you that's what I needed to know!   Looking forward to the event !!

• crazyqban likes this

#9 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

Hi Reddog... Yes, there is electric power available for those who register for Camp Sawyer.

• reddog1972 likes this

#10 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Hi Sergio! Has any additional work been done on the Girl Scout campground? It was pretty rough camping last year. 

• crazyqban likes this

#11 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

Oh, the generators were not a problem last year. I used one to charge my batteries during the day and didn't run it too much at night. They were very quiet and I couldn't really hear any of them being too loud at all. Someone had a bigger louder one but I think they put the kibitz on that one. I shared with my neighbors from the Jacksonville Club, I even got made an honorary member on the last day I was there just after the door prize drawing.

Can't say I'm going yet, but if I do I will share the juice to recharge other's batteries. 

• Napp likes this

#12 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

I really love the WSP, I was just very disappointed in the site last year. **** hurricanes.  

#13 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

Oh, the generators were not a problem last year. I used one to charge my batteries during the day and didn't run it too much at night. They were very quiet and I couldn't really hear any of them being too loud at all. Someone had a bigger louder one but I think they put the kibitz on that one. I shared with my neighbors from the Jacksonville Club, I even got made an honorary member on the last day I was there just after the door prize drawing.

Can't say I'm going yet, but if I do I will share the juice to recharge other's batteries. 

Hi, JimMo.  The Jacksonville club (NEFAS) will be back.  Hope to see you there.  You were a great neighbor.  

• JimMo and crazyqban like this

#14 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:23 PM

Hi Sergio! Has any additional work been done on the Girl Scout campground? It was pretty rough camping last year. 

Not much has happened on the site. GS have dragged their feet. We should start getting things ready soon. Probably take a trip down there to assess the property and start a plan of action.

#15 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Tickets arrived in the mail yesterday!!!!  Can't wait to get there already....  

#16 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:06 AM

Yes!  Got my tickets, too! 

• crazyqban likes this

#17 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

I am setting up on the Boy's Scout side this year. Can't wait! 

• crazyqban likes this

#18 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

I am setting up on the Boy's Scout side this year. Can't wait! 

Me as well - I got a spot where electricity will be available and I couldn't be happier!

• crazyqban and stevenwav like this

#19 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

Me as well - I got a spot where electricity will be available and I couldn't be happier!

Well that accounts for three of the pitches at Sawyer

See you there.

• crazyqban and reddog1972 like this

#20 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:08 PM

Steveastrouk will you be bringing a zerochromat with you? 

#21 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

Steveastrouk will you be bringing a zerochromat with you? 

Yes. I have that and a pretty little reflector called a Newise too. They should hopefully both fit on the same mount....If they'll both fit in the car.....

This is going to be the first all-USA built Newise. Previous ones have been supplied from the UK, so I'm a bit nervous I screwed something up :-)

Edited by steveastrouk, 21 November 2019 - 06:10 PM.

• crazyqban and stevenwav like this

#22 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:20 PM

Looks like I wont be the only one with two OTAs on a single mount in the boy scout section. Looking forward to checking out what you've both brought and talking shop. Clear skies until then!

#23 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

Well I just registered so you guys will have to put up with me for another star party. I'll only be bringing my dob as space in the mini van will be tighter as my wife will make the drive down with me. I'll drop her off at her brother's place in Ft. Myers and then drive the rest of the way the campground. It will be nice to have some company for the long drive and to have someone watch out for me as I need all the help I can get. Remind me to tell my cell phone story from my trip home last year. It rivals or even surpasses my first WSP in '09 when I left my boxed up primary mirror on a picnic table near the berm. Didn't realize it until I got a call when I was all the way up in Key Largo. Luckily, I didn't have to drive back as Charlie P. took care of shipping it to my home.

I do hope the camp is in a little better shape than last year. Walking from my site on the west side of Wesumkee over to the valley of the dobs was difficult in the dark with the lumpy walkway. 

BTW- what is the deal with all of the asphalt on the east side of the camp? I thought that was an environmental no no in the keys.

• Napp likes this

#24 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

I just noticed that the 25 Camp Sawyer sites WITH parking are sold out, still camp sites without the parking pass available - according to the SCAS web site. Looks like I am driving down again this year from Massachusetts, meaning I can bring as many scopes as I want! I will have my 180 f/5 MakNewt for visual, a solar telescope and a night viewing device. Aaaannnnnndddd I will bring a small-ish refractor, just for kicks. I think I will have all bases covered, but will still be seeking to "glom onto" some poor soul with a larger mirror. Here's hoping for some spectacular - still nights! Can't wait, and I hope the creek "don't rise" in the meantime!

Edited by stevenwav, 12 December 2019 - 04:12 PM.

• JimMo and crazyqban like this

#25 randylrandyl

randylrandyl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:04 PM

Attending WSP again for the first time since the 1990s. This will be part of a longer trip, with Dry Tortugas NP as the next stop. I want to make sure to understand which morning we will be breaking camp. The SCAS website says February 17th - 23rd, so I assume this means we need to leave by noon on the 23rd. Can anyone confirm this, or point me to a schedule?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics