•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Winter Star Party 2020

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#26 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

I believe you need to leave by 10:00 AM Sunday.

Bruce

#27 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:25 PM

I’ve always wanted to see Dry Tortugas NP, but never have had the extra time. One of these days after I retire.  

#28 BJS

BJS

Ranger 4

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

Yes, me too....I think the Dry Tortugas would be an awesome place to visit.

#29 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:00 AM

+1

#30 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

I'm hoping for a Lombard street adventure in Key West at some point during the week. Hogs breath pub and some live music sounds like it needs to happen....
  • crazyqban likes this

#31 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:04 AM

Attending WSP again for the first time since the 1990s. This will be part of a longer trip, with Dry Tortugas NP as the next stop. I want to make sure to understand which morning we will be breaking camp. The SCAS website says February 17th - 23rd, so I assume this means we need to leave by noon on the 23rd. Can anyone confirm this, or point me to a schedule?

Hi Randy, good to have you back. Everything has to be offsite by noon. This means crew and attendees. Ideally we would like to have all of the attendees offsite by 10am so that the crew can wrap things up and be out by noon.

#32 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:05 AM

I'm hoping for a Lombard street adventure in Key West at some point during the week. Hogs breath pub and some live music sounds like it needs to happen....

Let me know, I might go down there with you. I love to go to Key West.

• JimMo likes this

#33 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

Is WSP set up in a way I could register, then stay nearby (Big Pine Key, or ??) and visit the site in the evenings?  Any realistic way to use a GnG setup if not camping?  Reviewing the online materials I’m not sure this would work because of parking issues.  

DW and I are not set up for camping yet, but I would like to spend an afternoon and evening or two at WSP as part of a longer trip. 

#34 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

Is WSP set up in a way I could register, then stay nearby (Big Pine Key, or ??) and visit the site in the evenings?  Any realistic way to use a GnG setup if not camping?  Reviewing the online materials I’m not sure this would work because of parking issues.  

DW and I are not set up for camping yet, but I would like to spend an afternoon and evening or two at WSP as part of a longer trip. 

You can certainly register and stay nearby.  Other folks do it.  The question now is whether you can find a room at this date.  Winter is high season in the Keys.  A grab 'n go would work well.  If you think you would have to leave before the night is over just park outside the gate.  You can carry your equipment out to the car.  A collapsible wagon would make transporting your equipment from/to to the car easier.  Something like this though there are better ones out there.  https://www.walmart....ZBoC9rUQAvD_BwE

#35 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

You can certainly register and stay nearby.  Other folks do it.  The question now is whether you can find a room at this date.  Winter is high season in the Keys.  A grab 'n go would work well.  If you think you would have to leave before the night is over just park outside the gate.  You can carry your equipment out to the car.  A collapsible wagon would make transporting your equipment from/to to the car easier.  Something like this though there are better ones out there.  https://www.walmart....ZBoC9rUQAvD_BwE

Thanks. 

By outside the gate, do you mean on the shoulder of A1A?

#36 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

Thanks. 

By outside the gate, do you mean on the shoulder of A1A?

Yes.  It's a fairly wide shoulder.

Edited by Napp, 03 January 2020 - 04:00 PM.

• GoFish likes this

#37 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

Let me know, I might go down there with you. I love to go to Key West.

Meeeee!   Meeeeeee!   PleasecanIgowithyouguys?

Dave

#38 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

I'm game, too. I go to Key West at least once every time down and usually can't find anyone else who wants to go.

I do like to bring my bike along to tool around the island without worrying about parking. 

#39 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for posting! Always want to participate in WSP and finally MAY BE able to make a trip this year! Similarly to @GoFish we might plan to not camping and stay outside, and drop in from nights to nights. Can you please help with some further questions for us?

1: As a part of a larger trip we might not be brining any scope with us, but still wish to enjoy the party. Just wondering if this is a "sharing" star party that we can always get to some views from peer's optics or it's more dedicated session where people enjoy their own equipment?

2: Can I find a daily agenda to describe the events/activities? Is it mainly a night event or something planned for day time for us to join?

3: If plan to spend a few hours in each nights, is it safe to leave the car outside on A1A?

4: What's "must see" for WSP? Trying to optimize our iternary.

Thanks in advance!

Yizhou

#40 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:54 AM

Typical night at a WSP: I set up and align my 14.5" dob, make sure it's all working correctly, use it for a while, and maybe then after a warm brownie I wander over to the Valley of the Dobs. There are always a few big ones and they are usually happy to share the views as are most other visual observers in the camp.

Trouble is when I go back to my "little" dob I'm usually underwhelmed with the views. I vow the next night I'll stick to my own dob. This is usually repeated for the duration of the star party, but this year is going to be different. Right.  grin.gif

#41 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

Typical night at a WSP: I set up and align my 14.5" dob, make sure it's all working correctly, use it for a while, and maybe then after a warm brownie I wander over to the Valley of the Dobs. There are always a few big ones and they are usually happy to share the views as are most other visual observers in the camp.

Trouble is when I go back to my "little" dob I'm usually underwhelmed with the views. I vow the next night I'll stick to my own dob. This is usually repeated for the duration of the star party, but this year is going to be different. Right.  grin.gif

You can always steal a few photons from my 160mm TEC before you go back to your 'little' dob....

Dave

• JimMo likes this

#42 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for posting! Always want to participate in WSP and finally MAY BE able to make a trip this year! Similarly to @GoFish we might plan to not camping and stay outside, and drop in from nights to nights. Can you please help with some further questions for us?

1: As a part of a larger trip we might not be brining any scope with us, but still wish to enjoy the party. Just wondering if this is a "sharing" star party that we can always get to some views from peer's optics or it's more dedicated session where people enjoy their own equipment?

2: Can I find a daily agenda to describe the events/activities? Is it mainly a night event or something planned for day time for us to join?

3: If plan to spend a few hours in each nights, is it safe to leave the car outside on A1A?

4: What's "must see" for WSP? Trying to optimize our iternary.

Thanks in advance!

Yizhou

Yizhou, some things you might look into:   

a day trip into historic Key West.....  You can charter a boat for fishing for a day....  Or rent kayaks...  Snorkeling???  Rent bicycles and ride around Key West.... 

Optic sharing is normal and a good way to 'travel light'.....

Daily talks occur from about 1300 to 1600 each day on a variety of topics....

Parking on A1A is safe - many do it... 

Dave

#43 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

Yizhou, some things you might look into:   

a day trip into historic Key West.....  You can charter a boat for fishing for a day....  Or rent kayaks...  Snorkeling???  Rent bicycles and ride around Key West.... 

Optic sharing is normal and a good way to 'travel light'.....

Daily talks occur from about 1300 to 1600 each day on a variety of topics....

Parking on A1A is safe - many do it... 

Dave

Thank you Dave! That helps a lot.

#44 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

I've negotiated the loan of a Honda 3000 generator for the WSP.  This solves my potential electricity problem...  I can charge my 60Ah battery every day....

Dave

• JimMo and JNDiller like this

#45 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

I can charge my 60Ah battery every day....

And quite a bit more!  lol.gif

#46 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

I've negotiated the loan of a Honda 3000 generator for the WSP.  This solves my potential electricity problem...  I can charge my 60Ah battery every day....

Dave

You could charge 40 60Ah batteries every day...

#47 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

You could charge 40 60Ah batteries every day...

Yes I could.  I didn't plan for that particular size.  A club-mate of mine heard me talking about WSP and the lack of electricity on the field and how I was negotiating the occasional use of someone's generator there.  He simply offered his to me......

It is rather big and heavy, according to the website.....130 pounds!!

I can buy a 1000W Honda for $1100 CDN which would certainly be enough to charge my battery every day...in the long run this may be a good strategy.

But for this WSP I'll have the 3000....

Dave

• JimMo and Napp like this

#48 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

Well, five more weeks and we’ll be traveling to the WSP. I’m not going to be as rushed as I usually am as I’m taking a few more days off before and after. Sometimes it’s good to be the boss. My freshly retired wife will be traveling with me for a change and we’ll be in Fort Myers at my brother in law’s place the weekend before and afterwards so that should make the drive much more pleasant. It will cost a bit more in motel rooms as I won’t be able to sleep in the teardrop while traveling. It’s much too small for two, heck it’s barely big enough for me but it’s better than a tent and I get better sleep at star parties since I bought it. Getting excited. 

• Napp likes this

#49 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

For those interested (Crazyqban, Cotts, JimMo) in hitting Key West for a Lombard St. afternoon adventure of music, food and drink one day during the week (TBD), PM me so I can get a group chat going.  It would be MUCH more fun going with friends than flying solo!  We can figure out details while we're down there.

FIVE WEEKS to WSP!  I'm itching to get down there already.....

• Darren Drake and JimMo like this

#50 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun for you guys!

• reddog1972 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics