•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laser technology for lighting applications

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:14 AM

It appears that future of illumination will be based on both LED and Laser technology but nobody seem interested in the possible positive outcomes of the second to ground astronomy.

https://www.led-prof...sing-technology

Any opinion?

• alstarjoey likes this

#2 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

I just skimmed, as I'm already late for work, but it looks like they are trying to get more light out of smaller packages, which I don't thik is good.  The intensity of LEDs is already a bit painful to lok at.  Squeezing even more light into a small space could be harmful unless it can be spread evenly over a very wide diffuser.  I've seen some LED lights that have very effective even diffusers, but still the surface brightness is harsh.  What positive effects do you see on astronomy?  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

I just skimmed, as I'm already late for work, but it looks like they are trying to get more light out of smaller packages, which I don't thik is good.  The intensity of LEDs is already a bit painful to lok at.  Squeezing even more light into a small space could be harmful unless it can be spread evenly over a very wide diffuser.  I've seen some LED lights that have very effective even diffusers, but still the surface brightness is harsh.  What positive effects do you see on astronomy?  

It's not clear to me what the applications might be for this technology.. 

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics