•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Zeiss Microscope

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bothrops

Bothrops

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

Hello guys, first post here.

Can you advise me about this microscope? It has nothing written, I do not know the model, but is advertised as being Zeiss. The seller says it works, but I have no idea if it's good, if it's worth it. Here in Brazil these things are not so easy to find, so I need some guidance. That costs about 75.00, is that a fair value for this microscope - if it has good lenses and no fungus?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails

• zeiss 01.jpg
  • zeiss 02.jpg

• j.gardavsky likes this

#2 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:36 PM

Hello Lift Off,

admitted, I have never seen this microscope body before, so I can't tell.

Check out the inscriptions on the eyepieces and on the objectives, and post some pics.

A magnifying lens would reveal dirt and eventually delamination in the eyepieces. Helpful is also the pinhole imagery, as posted somewhere on the CN by Astrojensen.

Checking the small objective lenses is not as simple.

Best,

JG

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#3 vertex2100

vertex2100

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magic kingdom

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

Sounds cheap to me and looks pretty clean. You can practice/ learn microscope restoration with it. You can buy cheap objectives online if any of those don't work well. A great bargain if it works well and not much money to lose if it doesn't.

#4 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 September 2019 - 03:07 AM

Hi

It's not a Zeiss.

This is only a wild guess, but when I saw the pictures, I immediatly thought on the 1970's era microscopes from the Japanese brand Kyowa.

That could be a real possibility, as it is known that Kyowa made their own microscopes, as well as unstamped microscopes for thirth parties, like most Japanese microscope manufacturers.

The Kyowa's of that era were, optically and mechanically, very good microscopes, often used here at the time by beginning physicians and vets, who couldn't affort expensive ZELENIOL's (Zeiss, Leitz, Nikon, Olympus).

Judging from the pictures, the condenser is missing? In that case the microscope can only be used at lower magnifications (max. objective N.A. around 0.40, so that's a 20x - 25x achromat), but with some luck it might be possible to find a condenser for it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics