•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Regam 65ED M2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:41 AM

There is at the moment a heated discussion on Cloudynights about spotting scopes. I can only confirm my initial impressions: for a dual day&night scope, a good quality spotting scope is, IMHO, a very good choice. The scope performs nicely also for astronomy, and not only for daytime use. I do not agree with people that says a spotting scope cannot be used for astronomy.

Click here to view the article
  • paulsky and Castor like this

#2 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Quick and easy spotting scope can be a friend to those who like grab-n-go. Also an easy to set up--and comfortable--observing chair.

• paulsky likes this

#3 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Ranger 4

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:13 AM

I'll second how unbalanced the 65mm Regals are. They didn't scale down the back end with the prisims. I have an 80mm and the part from the rotation ring backwards is exactly the same and it makes for a terribly unbalanced scope. 

Typical Celestron, great optics, so-so build quality & design.  The 80mm is much better proportioned, but I have found image shift when focusing on the moon. I don't think the focusing elements are properly supported as they move through their travel. For the money they are decent enough. 

I use mine mostly at the shooting range and for that they excel. 

#4 Tom Fid

Tom Fid

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:22 PM

I have the 100mm. It's also a nice scope, but not balanced any better. As here, a long Arca plate solves the problem. (Celestron includes a long foot adapter, but it's crude and heavy.) Otherwise the build quality is nice, and it's sharp with little fringing. I probably won't risk it in really tough conditions, but the build quality and weatherproofing seem pretty robust.

My only real disappointment is that eyepiece projection using the included t-adapter on the stock eyepiece is pretty terrible. I'm not sure why they bother. Afocal digiscoping works ok, and that seems to be the only option. There isn't enough travel to reach prime focus (except maybe with a Barlow as relay, which I haven't tried).

I mostly use it for terrestrial wildlife, but it's a lot better for astro than I expected. It only suffers from lack of a good way to mount a finder of some sort.

• paulsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics